Marga Muino Mill Adjustments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the snaps

now just how much was it?
where did you get it phone number etc?

sintax

the mill was $75.00 plus frieght from Brewmaker, Holden Hill SA (08)83693649, and when I ordered he only had one more left. So if you want one be quick, I tried to buy locally through a kitchen ware outlet and they quoted me $160.00 for the same mill.

Andrew

Very informative Andrew, thanks! I'm in the process of converting a $36 Mercato pasta machine into a roller mill, and the construction is almost identical to your mill. One thing I'm wondering though: what drill 'bit' or otherwise are you driving the mill with?

I've considered chopping the manual crank handle off and sticking that in the chuck, however it's rather inelegant, and it looks like you have a better solution. :)

I had an old screwdriver lying around that fit perfectly, I just chopped off the shaft, about 4inches long. Have you Knurled the rollers on your pasta machine? if not do you have a problem with grains not catching on the rollers and slipping.

regards
Andrew

Spot on Andrew, you have to knurl the rollers otherwise none of the grains grip and get pulled through. It's still an experiment in progress, but I've gone over the rollers with a dremel grinder wheel and it seems to grip ok... I may go the next step of cutting horizontal slices with a cutoff wheel, I'm just playing it by ear at the moment. :)

Thanks again, might stop off at Bunnings on the way home and pick up a cheap screwdriver. :D

AndrewQLD said:
I now have my Marga Mulino grain mill, and after a few modifications I am VERY HAPPY :p :D :lol: .

Andrew
G'day Andrew, its a beaut mill, eh ;)

Yours looks very similar to the one I got from Grumpys. That setting you made was in the same spot that they drilled too! I get very good efficiencies and my preboil gravities are spot on, so this mill is a good one and that's one major variable taken care of when you strive to achieve high efficiency all grain brewing :D

My only bitch with this great mill is finding a larger hopper - I've done some part mashes that use less than 2kg of grains and that takes next to no time with the mill and the cordless drill - but for 4 to 5kg and more grain bills, I'd rather use a larger hopper that can hold at least half the grain bill. Will have a think about that and see what I can invent in the way of a decent sized hopper that won't fall over...
What did you wrap around the mill when you did your crush? Is that gladwrap and elastic bands to keep the dust from going everywhere? I'm gonna get some chipboard or MDF and make a lid for the 20L bucket that I'll crush the grains into - just gotta get off my arse and let rip with the jigsaw! B)
Cheers,
TL

Hi TL,
Yeah the hopper is too small but I have a mate who uses a lot of plexiglass and he is going to make me one that will fit over the original so that should sort that out.

No, thats not glad wrap it is 2 sheets of clear shirt box plastic held in place by elastic bands, It's faily stiff so it works a treat, very little dust escapes.

Andrew

Hi there,

I've a Grumpy's Marga as well and I'll set about making the mods having seen the result of Andrews work. With the hopper, I cut the bottom off a 2L orange juice bottle and slipped it over the existing hopper to give more capacity. It takes about a kill at a time. It is rather crude as you need to put some wads of paper between the sides of the hopper and the bottle as the fits not perfect. It was intended as a temporary measure but it does the job.

cheers

Patrick.

Heres a pic of my marga with temporary hopper, got some aluminium for a permanent job but this works well and holds about 3kg. The chute is made from a piece of square rainwater spout. I have drilled out the adjustment wheel but have found that he standard no.2 position has been giving me a good crush leading to efficiencies in the 90's. hope this is of some help.

marga.JPG

Well done Vlad, the mill looks the goods, I like your mounting bracket too. How long did it take you to crush the grain and how many kilo is there.

Andrew

Hi guys!!!

Go the Marga!!!

I made a hopper for mine out of MDF board and it holds 4.5kg.
All I did was make it an interference fit into the top of the mill.
The hopper just pushes in at the top of the mill and is easily removed for cleaning /storing etc.
By just having the taper of the MDF board form the slot over the rollers and not using the original plastic bit, you get to use all the roller width at once and it is quick to crush.
Check out the pics of mine in the photo gallery section of this site.

Cheers

Sorry to bring up an old post . I have been loooking around at the grain mills pages to find out what i want to get , I think i will go the Marga.

I have tried the link to the modifications but it does not seem to be around anymore.
Does anyone have some picture i could see about the mods , they sound easy enough to make , just want to have alook

Cheers
AW :D :beer:

G'day AW,

I've got a Marga I bought 18 months or so ago and I'm very happy with it. I paid $79 delivered. I know that recently the Margas have gone up a lot - indeed around $160 seems to be the going rate. For $79 I think they are good value. For $160, I think they are getting a bit pricey and there are competing mills such as the base model Crankenstein available from TWOC in WA that are around that money that are purpose built and would appear to me to be better value for that price.

If you've found one at or near the old price then go for it and (after you've bought yours of course ;) ) let the board know... I reckon some others would be interested. As far as the mods go, the 3 biggies are to pop off and unscrew the adjustor knob and drill some more adjustment holes; to widen the throat of the hopper; and to make a larger hopper such as Vlad's beer carton hopper that I copied. I made these mods myself and I'm 'tool challenged' so they are very straightforward.

My 2 cents...

Shawn.

arsenewenger said:
Sorry to bring up an old post . I have been loooking around at the grain mills pages to find out what i want to get , I think i will go the Marga.

I have tried the link to the modifications but it does not seem to be around anymore.
Does anyone have some picture i could see about the mods , they sound easy enough to make , just want to have alook

Cheers
AW :D :beer:
[post="124106"][/post]​

Here are some pics
Marga mods

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
[post="124106"][/post]​

Here are some pics
Marga mods

Cheers
Andrew
[post="124114"][/post]​
[/quote]

The very pics I copied my mods from when I made them! Ah the good old days of the AHB gallery...

Thanks again Andrew :)

Shawn

Gough said:
For $160, I think they are getting a bit pricey and there are competing mills such as the base model Crankenstein available from TWOC in WA that are around that money that are purpose built and would appear to me to be better value for that price.

[post="124112"][/post]​

Hi guys - have any of you had any experience with the Crankandstein mills? They seem to be a reasonable price, and the sceptic in me wonders "Whats the catch?"

:)

Bizarre said:
Hi guys - have any of you had any experience with the Crankandstein mills? They seem to be a reasonable price, and the sceptic in me wonders "Whats the catch?"

[post="124139"][/post]​

Bizzarre,

Crankandstein are great mills - do a simple search on the name & you'll find heaps to read... :)

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Bizzarre,

Crankandstein are great mills - do a simple search on the name & you'll find heaps to read... :)

cheers Ross
[post="124146"][/post]​

Thanks Ross - there is sometimes too much to read on here ;) things that could potentially get me in trouble with the missus (Bank manager) - I did a search the earlier today that yielded not much, but after looking on google I realised I had mis-spelt the name and now I feel stupid lol
:blink:

Back