Marga Mills - Average Crush Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
G'day fellas,

Having finally had my bags of grain arrive and my mill set up on its board with its hopper etc. I gave it its first proper run. I'd done test runs with smaller quantities, but put through 6 kilos of grain today and thought it seemed a little slower than I'd expected. The crush looks fine and I'm happy enough with it, but it seemed a lot slower than other mills over a 6 kg batch.

So I was just wondering what sort of speeds fellow Marga mill users would expect over that quantity of grain? Also how fast are you running your drills? I started slow and got faster ;) Is it OK to run the drill flat out? Oh, and I was using the 'notch past two' setting which is the widest factory setting - the crush looks OK - I'll find out tonight! - but thought maybe a wider setting for a first run might speed things up? Or should I just relax and let a good thing take its own sweet time???

Sorry about all the questions. I'm not really too worried, just thought it was slower than expected and that you blokes might be able to put me right.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn.

Gough,

I have found with the Marga that running the drill flat out slows the crush time by alot. I use a variable speed drill and have backed off the speed a fair bit and the crush is more uniform and much faster.

The last batch I crushed was 10 kilo grain and it took 15 minutes, not as fast as the bigger mills but not too bad I think. Also my hopper takes about 2 kilo of grain so I don't have to stand there and watch it.

Thanks Andrew.

I'll slow the drill down and try that. !5 minutes for 10 kilos is a lot faster than this morning's effort. Were you using the 'notch past 2' setting?

My hopper holds around 2 kilos as well, so hopefully I can up the speeds. I need to organise something to hold the drill in place - next job for the Gough brewery :)

Thanks again,

Shawn.

Latest posts

Back