March Pump Start Up Current?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
In the spec sheet, It says the 809 has about a 100W, .7 amp draw.
Anyone know what the draw is on startup?
I'm trying to size an inverter to power it - as if being off the grid.
Cheers.

In the spec sheet, It says the 809 has about a 100W, .7 amp draw.
Anyone know what the draw is on startup?
I'm trying to size an inverter to power it - as if being off the grid.
Cheers.
Rule of thumb is about 5-7 times the Full load amp draw for a direct on line start motor, it depends a bit on whether the motor is starting under load or not so worstcase scenario possibly about 4.9 Amps

just keep in mind that when you slow the motor down you drematicly drop its self cooling capabilities but it will still get hot.

Could pay to rig up some sort of secondary cooling fan for it.

cheers

i think a 200W 100%duty cycle would start her up most inverters will have a good 4X running watt, peak watt rating..

just keep in mind that when you slow the motor down you drematicly drop its self cooling capabilities but it will still get hot.

Could pay to rig up some sort of secondary cooling fan for it.

cheers

you wont slow it down (well you dam well shouldn't) as these are induction motors (correct me if im wrong) and any extra cooling wont help much just blow the smoke away from the motor after you burn her out

No i dont plan on slowing it down.
I just need to know how big to size the inverter.

So if 200Watts would do it then:
Additional question:

Would these motors happily run on a modified sine wave inverter, or do I need the more expensive pure sine wave type?

they should run ok on a modified sine wave just a little bit warmer and a little bit noisey as the chopped sine wave creates noise in the winding. and the steel in the winding is designed to work in a pure sine wave environment.

you can get these pumps in a DC version cant you? if so that would be a better option.

Also being mag drive I dont understand how you could slow that actual motor down - my understanding is that this is the beauty of these mag drive pumps

News I have from the March pump distributor here in Melbourne - I can put the 815 model impeller into the 809 and get close to 815 performance, which gets me home.
Yes it will run on 60Hz too, If I need more later.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Latest posts

Back