March Pump -plug Wiring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
OK I'm finally putting a few brew gear pieces together, including putting a plu on a March pump. I'm presuming as these are made in the US, that the wiring doesn't follow our colour coding. It has a green yellow wire which is the earth. It also has a white and a black. Being US I presume the black is the live wire and the white is the neutral. I s this correct?

Cheers
MAH

I assume the pump is rated to 240v?
Yes i believe that black is the active in the US.

Edit: yeah google agrees. I also read how in the US you used to be able to use a single wire for both neutral and ground. Scary!

Just a little extra info,

It shouldn't matter which way you wire it up as it is AC.

The neatural and earth are joined in behind the swichboard of your house, so really they are the same...

I also use a march pump and find them excellent, the only thng I wonder is how much air/turbulance is generated in the impeller housing because it is a non self primng pump and therefore creating stresses in the wort.(can't remember what the real term for it is)

Hi Beertime,
I am lead to believe that aeration does not occur with a March pump because the impeller in the pump is driven magnetically and therefore does not have a solid mechanical connection to the shaft of the electric motor.
This enables the output flow to be controlled by restricting the outlet of the pump with a ball valve as we do in the HB situation.
Cheers

Hi Dicko
Thats true the impeller is magnetically driven and I also control the output via a valve on the outlet.

However the impeller still runs at the same speed even though the wort is going slower.

Do you know what the term is for the stresses wort.

does anyone know if the pump can be cleaned with caustic solution?

BT, are you talking about cavitation?

damn ive just spent the last ten minutes trying to remember what the correct term was. if anyone wants a definition. its" when the pressure of a liquid becomes low enough that the gas dissolved in it is released"

well not really, I thought I read somewhere once that when the wort is being pumped around any stress the hot wort gets is called something. Stress could be from going around tight pipe bends or the like.

beertime said:
Do you know what the term is for the stresses wort.

[post="53629"][/post]​

beertime

Not sure of the term you are looking for, but what you look at is the shear force. The limit for recirculating the mash is 3 m/s (from Kunze)

Cheers
Pedro

Yes I think that might be it, seems so simple now...

I also think the march pump creates a lot of these because of the shape of the impeller and the fact we slow the wort down with a valve while the pump stays at the same speed....The pump needs a clear cover so we can see.

any thoughts on caustic with it??

Ps. Heading off for beer and indian...what a combination :beer:

beertime said:
[post="53645"][/post]​

Beertime

I have one with the plastic housing and I don't use caustic - I am not sure about using it. It is probably worth sending an email to march pumps about this. I use a cleaning solution (cheap big-w neo-pink cleaner / sanitiser) if it needs cleaning, otherwise I just sanitise.

Cheers
Pedro

PS - Nothing wrong with beer and indian, though one singha is more than enough

beertime said:
Yes I think that might be it, seems so simple now...

I also think the march pump creates a lot of these because of the shape of the impeller and the fact we slow the wort down with a valve while the pump stays at the same speed....The pump needs a clear cover so we can see.

[post="53645"][/post]​

I think that you will find that the magnetic drive is the secret to the impeller not causing damage to the wort as it will "slip" drive to suit the out flow of the pump.
The body of the pump I have is plastic also, and I wouldn't use caustic in it.
I flush with phosphoric acid and surfactant similar to what the dairies use.
I also flush with boiling water from the HLT prior to using the pump to supply the CFWC with freshly boiled wort.
I have no problems with sanitation with my system.
Cheers

Back