March Meet Planning (with Date Poll)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What weekend

• Sat 3rd/Sun 4th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sat 10th/Sun 11th

• Sat 17th/Sun 18th

• Sat 24th/Sun 25th

• Sun 31st/Sun 1st (April)

• Total voters

mikem108

Reaction score
I will probably have to work a few saturdays in march, but if I know enough in advance when the next meet is I can probably weasel my way out of it.
So let the deliberations begin.

I've emailed the Malt Shovel to see if we can organise a tour in the next month or two, but in the absence of that i'll suggest that maybe we can have a brewday/meet at my place this time. I bought a new 48qt esky the other day (Coleman one... a steal at $60) but no guarantees that i can convince the wife that i can put some stainless braid in the bottom of it. Might see if i can get a new bigger plastic tub from Bunnings and make a nice big mashtun... then again i hear Philip is working on the MOAM (Mother of all Mashtuns), which i must keep a secret until Philip says so...

If we use my setup we can get 2 fresh wort cubes out of it, with another kettle and mashtun or two i'm sure we can get 5 or 6 cubes no problem. I can get a couple of the 15L/17.5L fresh wort cubes from Gerard as well to make it a bit easier.

Recipes... Kolsch? The weather is getting a bit cooler and i have a few vials of Wyeast 2565 Kolsch to go round. Other than that maybe something Belgian, perhaps a Duvel type one or maybe we should just do another APA, maybe an SNPA clone?

I'm always keen on a brew day. :D Kolsch would be nice. What about a Marzen seeing it's March? I have an Octoberfest yeast we can use. Alternatively how about a dark beer in preparation for winter? Like Ben says, the weather is pretty good for Ales. Too many choices......but I'd like to do something other than an APA. B)

Yes Ben I am working on the 220l MOAM, :excl: but have a way to go yet....... watch this space.

Let us know about the malt shovel. I'd like to check it out. Does anyone have the details for the Matt @ the St Peters brewery? It'd be good to have a look there sometime too. Maybe we could approach him about doing an ISB brew on his setup one Saturday? Alternately maybe we could arrange to "help" Gerard do a batch of fresh work kits one day?

Philip

OK let's see if this works (yay, it did)

Well, later in the month sounds good to me, but I'm not really that fussed other than the 18th.

To brew or not to brew. Not fussed on that either. I don't think I'll take a cube this time though, so any style's fine with me. :p

I think the idea of doing a brew at St Peters is great. Any chance of that Gerard? :super:

220L !!!! Sweet Mother of Mary......... Phil you are going to kill us all.

I've gone the drink ourselves silly option, I feel so inadequate everytime I see you guys pull everything together! It's like brewing equivalent of penis envy :blink: and we can pour a glass or ten over the head of Ben's new little lady!!!!

I'm hoping I can still catch up with guys over the winter as it brings on a whole bunch of comittments to junior football, let's see how we go.

Gav.

I'm hoping I can still catch up with guys over the winter as it brings on a whole bunch of comittments to junior football, let's see how we go.

Gav.

Gav, that's easy - we do it at your place again. LOL

Looks like it's leaning towards the 17th, which is fine since my only commitment is the 4th :p

We'll see who's interested over the next couple of days, if it's going to lean towards a day of drinking i might do a double batch anyway just to keep myself busy ;)

Actually I voted for the 17th/18th and then realised I can't do it. Prolly Sun. the 25th is the only gap I've got at the mo.

Matt at ST Peters is not to keen to have people in his brewery, I've asked him in the past. Something about lack of space and danger

Guys

Malt Shovel can do the 2nd April (monday) 5-7pm, i've penciled in 10 of us to go, let me know if you can make it then. We should still have a meeting in March, this is just icing on the cake :D

Matt at ST Peters is not to keen to have people in his brewery, I've asked him in the past. Something about lack of space and danger

probably something to do with public liability too ....

im good for march 10/11 march and the 24/25 march as a meet date .. but the numbers shall decide !!!

im not too fussed about a cube, thou a belgian would be nice.

Saturday the 17th seems to be the winner from the poll, although gav and ned can't come on those days. :(

Sounds like the drink ourselves silly option is the winner too. :beer: :party:

Great to have you along OldBugman.

17th for me.

Ben, I can bring my 38l cooler mash/lauter tun. You can put down 2 for the MSB tour.

Cheers

EB

17th for me.

Ben, I can bring my 38l cooler mash/lauter tun. You can put down 2 for the MSB tour.

Cheers

EB

Lucky i kept 2 spare spots eh Nick...

Bring your mashtun, that's fine, we can do a double batch if we want to. Looks like the 17th at my place is a goer. I'll work out a recipe that we can do, i was thinking of a Kolsch or some such thing, but i'll see what i can come up with.

hopefully i can manage a flying visit on saturday , depends on what kind of night i have at work on friday ... its been a while since i caught up with most of you guys so it would be good to get there but only time will tell ...

Ben
From what time are you accepting guests and what approx time is "mash in", and the question of food, is there a Pizza bar nearby?

Ben
From what time are you accepting guests and what approx time is "mash in", and the question of food, is there a Pizza bar nearby?

11am, earlier is OK i guess (you can help me unload grain from Gerard's van), mashin probably about 1130-12ish. There is heaps of shops across the station you can get food from, a kebab joint, pizzeria etc or Newtown is a short walk. Was going to get a few snags and some nibblies for the BBQ though, just need a spare gas bottle and reg since i'm going to be using my reg and gas bottle for brewing.

I'll shoot out an email to the list tomorrow with some details and a map too.

Back