Maple Explosions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Gday!

I just did a Maple Lager using a Coopers Lager kit, 1Kg Dextrose, and added some Maple Syrup (about 300ml). I let the brew ferment for two weeks in the drum and was sure the brew was ready to bottle. Once I had bottled the brew, I let it ferment for about 3 months and the bottles started exploding.

I was just wondering if maybe the sugars in Maple Syrup ferment slower?
Has anyone else had this problem?

I want to try this recipe again but I'm afraid of grenades going off in the shed!

Cheers!

Hey man, I just bottled a brew with 250ml maple syrup. It won't be around in 3 months, but when I bottled it, it tasted too sweet.

How did yours taste?

Hey,

Yeah mine tasted pretty good. It was a little bit sweet at first but once it ferments for a while most of the sweetness dies down and you get a pretty nice maple flavour. Thinking back now, I think I used 250ml of maple syrup myself.

Hope yours turns out good!

:beer:

I think the fermentability depends upon the type of sugar the maple syrup is made up of. Any idea as to the type of sugar on the maple syrup bottle ie sucrose, fructose??

Will

I just had a quick look on the net but all I could find was that maple contains natural sugar. Processed maple syrups might be different though. I'll have to suss it out.

Ryan.

ryanator said:
Gday!

I was just wondering if maybe the sugars in Maple Syrup ferment slower?
Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers!
[post="63764"][/post]​

Hi

As an occasional mead brewer I can tell you that both maple and honey can be tricky beasts where fermentation is concerned. Both will usually start to fernment really quickly as the simple sugars are used up but then almost stop and plod away for ages as the yeasts just nibble at the more complex sugars. the trap is that the almost stop can look a lot like fermentation finished, let's bottle. Of course if you do bottle at that stage *kaboom*.

I have had meads keep fermenting for 6 months and once had one carbonate in the bottle 12 months after it was made. No infections just a really slow fermentation. Enough for a couple of the bottles to blow their corks out. One cork hit my brother in law in the head as it flew across he room. To his credit, he was so shocked at the sight of all that alcohol now gushing onto the floor that he ignored the pain and valiantly lunged across the room, clamped his lips around the neck of the bottle and downed the lot.

In short, yes they can just ferment away slowly for ages.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Hi

As an occasional mead brewer I can tell you that both maple and honey can be tricky beasts where fermentation is concerned. Both will usually start to fernment really quickly as the simple sugars are used up but then almost stop and plod away for ages as the yeasts just nibble at the more complex sugars. the trap is that the almost stop can look a lot like fermentation finished, let's bottle. Of course if you do bottle at that stage *kaboom*.

I have had meads keep fermenting for 6 months and once had one carbonate in the bottle 12 months after it was made. No infections just a really slow fermentation. Enough for a couple of the bottles to blow their corks out. One cork hit my brother in law in the head as it flew across he room. To his credit, he was so shocked at the sight of all that alcohol now gushing onto the floor that he ignored the pain and valiantly lunged across the room, clamped his lips around the neck of the bottle and downed the lot.

In short, yes they can just ferment away slowly for ages.

Cheers
Dave
[post="63827"][/post]​
Hehe,
I can just imagine that, what a champ! :super:

Latest posts

Back