maple bacon APA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefsantos

Reaction score
hi all I'm thinking of doing an american pale ale and infusing candied bacon (bacon slowly roasted in maple syrup ).
will it work ? and should i remove the bacon when i ferment ?

4.5kg traditional malt
0.8kg wheat
0.3kg crystal
20ml maple syrup
30g cascade 60min
18g worrior 20min
10g cascade 20min
20g millenium 15min
100g candied bacon15min
10g cascade 10min
10g millenium 10min
10g cascade 5mins
10g cascade 0mins

It's not so much the issue of 'will it work' but more the issue of 'why-the-****-would-you-want-to-put-bacon-in-beer'? Every mans taste is his own, but it's a bit of an insult to the otherwise-very good ingredients.

still shaking my head.

i did bacon in a 5 litre batch of ESB made from just DME and some fuggles
I oven roasted the bacon slowly and soaked up all the fat with some kitchen paper
left the bacon in the demijohn for 2 weeks, which turns out is WAY too long
try racking onto the bacon for maybe 2 or 3 days in a secondary fermenter and taste to see if that's enough
I'm thinking about giving it another go in a porter, full batch AG this time

phoneyhuh said:
Put in 20 - 30% smoked malt and it will taste like bacon anyway.
EXACTLY( I'd be concered about flat beer from the effects of the fat) Love a good smoked ale

WTF is happening to this forum since I have been away. Putting meat in beer is just ******* mad

Ahaha.

I suspect OP has been inspired by Rogue's Voodoo Donut.

Might be a good idea to find out how they did it. I suspect they might be kinda open about their process since it isn't a beer they'll probably make again.

joshF said:
It's not so much the issue of 'will it work' but more the issue of 'why-the-****-would-you-want-to-put-bacon-in-beer'? Every mans taste is his own, but it's a bit of an insult to the otherwise-very good ingredients.

still shaking my head.
I love good ingredients as much as anyone but if it works,it works. Hoegaarden has been adding coriander and orange in beer since 1445 and it works. raspberry beer is very common in Belgium and it works
My though came when I was eating a BLT and drinking a sierra nevada and the taste left in my mouth worked so I thought why not try it in a beer thats all, sorry if i have offended anyone by suggesting it

My assumption was incorrect but following up my last post might yield results, chefsantos. Rogue did something extremely similar to what you're talking about with a beer they made called Voodoo Doughnut (incorrect spelling above).

bum said:
My assumption was incorrect but following up my last post might yield results, chefsantos. Rogue did something extremely similar to what you're talking about with a beer they made called Voodoo Doughnut (incorrect spelling above).
just looked it up and I had never heard of it. Did you try it and if so was it any good ?like i said it was just a thought i had the other day. I'm a chef and mixing flavors is always on my mind.

I was very interested to try it but never saw one. I heard good things though. IMO, Rogue don't really make any "middle of the road" beers. Everything is usually great or an absolute dog. Can't say which way this one went with any certainty but definitely one I'd want to try.

Not sure I have the backbone to have a go at an entire batch though but will be very interested in your experience if you do have a crack.

Interesting concept and, hey, why not try it. Definitely the smoked malt imparts a bacon flavour, so I'd suggest getting some of the flavour from that. It's also been mentioned that the fats could affect head retention, so that's something to be aware of. There's a really good post from Ryan Brews about getting fatty foods (like bacon) in homebrew:

Fat Washing

thanks kaiser interesting. i dont know how much fat would be left after a slow roast(dehydrating) but it great reading and will take it all in to consideration

I have tried a bacon maple beer (Bacchus) and I really liked it.
Not a session beer at all but quite an interesting tasty beer.

I would give it a go with the smoked malt & some maple syrup or flavouring first and see if it has enough bacon flavour.

mate i'd love to hear your results; sounds awesome!

mantis what is your problem?

best possibility: it'll taste great and you'll have an awesome bacon-tasting beer
worst possibility: it'll taste like crap and you've: had an interesting experience / gained better knowledge for another attempt perhaps / had that thing that we all like called 'fun' and 'a laugh'...perhaps some don't get that.

win win.

Latest posts

Back