Manual Control Of 2200w Heating Rods In A Hlt Or Keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I have been looking at building a stir plate and one of the items needed is a speed adjusting knob ... I am wondering how or if placing one of these on the power cable to the 2200w heating elms in my HLT and Keggle (2 rods in 100l Keggle) may work in lowering power pull when at a rolling boil and to stop the HLT from over heating the water ??? It was just an Idea I had and thought I might ask before runnign out and picking up parts and trashing the hot sticks ...

Here for the big questions I guess or stupid ones :) ... either way I am prepared to ask them and don the flame suit as required ..

Cheers

Matt

Nope, but one of these would http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3800W-Adjustabl...=item3f11e0341e I use one, was real easy to hook up too

Very interesting. I wonder if i utilised one of these i could run a 2400w element flat out and a second 2400w element @ 800-1000w on my shed circuit that has max 16A combined circuit. (including fridges / lights etc).

I currently deploy a 2400W OTS element and a 3 ring gas burner to bring about 40L to the boil.
I need to gas on with the OTS to keep a decent boil going. I reckon a second element running at 30-40% would probably be sufficient and allow me to save gas / $ by switching off the gas when boiling.

Any sparkies about to confirm my logic?
Otherwise i am going to get another power socket nearby and a decent extension cord to run another 2400W element.

Interesting find ekul. more research is justified me thinks.

Cheers,
D80

I have been looking at building a stir plate and one of the items needed is a speed adjusting knob ... I am wondering how or if placing one of these on the power cable to the 2200w heating elms in my HLT and Keggle (2 rods in 100l Keggle) may work in lowering power pull when at a rolling boil and to stop the HLT from over heating the water ??? It was just an Idea I had and thought I might ask before runnign out and picking up parts and trashing the hot sticks ...

Here for the big questions I guess or stupid ones :) ... either way I am prepared to ask them and don the flame suit as required ..

Cheers

Matt

The pot normally used on stir plates is normally rated about at 12v 0.5amp. And you want to pull 240v and almost 10amp through it....

Good find by ekul with that setup.

The HLT should be setup from something like a STC1000 where you can set a temp and it will maintain the switching off/on for you.

The kettle, 100L pot I assume you will be boiling 70L? If so, I doubt you will need to throttle back the 2 elements.

QldKev

One of those would possibly work to reduce the speed on a small mill motor ??? I like it .. still keen to see other options though for the control of the hotstix .. cheers

Kev ... I ack your comments and agree on the amperage being pulled through by the heatsticks ... but basically looking at trying to have greater control of temps as I am in the process of trying to create a HERMS with my 3 V system.. and I would like to be all over the temps all of the time obviously with a bit of lee way ... The whole brewery area in my Mancave will be fed via 4 x 16 amp circuits this does not include the 2 x 16 amp circuits that are already there as they are currently part of the (believe it or not) 2 power circuits for the entire house ... It is discraceful that the Kitchen, laundry and 2 entire floors of a 4 floor house are on 1 x 16 amp circuit. I am hence in the process of designing the required circuit load to make it a safer and more effective power supply across the house.. I have inherited the problems associated with the house and am spending a considerable amount of time and money sorting it all out.

I am not a electrical genius nor am I a complete electrical spas... I am quite safe around electricity and know the safety requirements ( eg .. ELB ... safety switches and non use of the ceramic fuses anymore - considering the lighting and power fuses when we arrived here all had 30 amp fuse wire in them) ...

I ack you being right about not playing with electricity but to learn ... one must ask questions ???

Cheers

Matt

Back