Mangrove Jacks M54

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so after 3 weeks in the keg, and stored @3C in a keezer, the beer is very clear and half the keg is gone. It is clean tasting, malty and sweet, owing to the 40% Munich malt in the grain bill. I just kegged a take on a Munich Helles using M54. If it comes out just as clean, I might use M54 more often. In the end, turnaround time is 2 weeks, compared to 3 weeks using trusty old W34/70 and regardless of what they say, lagering does is the way to go as it improves a lot and clears up nicely. So I save a week and a few bucks as I only need 1 pack of the yeast and it is cheaper than a pack of Dubbya.

So far, I can't fault the yeast. to be honest.

If M54 is the Anchor steam strain, a big if. fermenting cold won't suit it, but cold storage after fermentation might,

California commons are a crossover style between ales and lagers, not meant to replicate or rival true lagers, Depending on tastes, they can sub for lager drinkers who can't ferment low, but Anchor aimed at a different, niche market and tossed in an underappreciated hop, Northern Brewer.

If M54 is the Anchor steam strain, a big if. fermenting cold won't suit it, but cold storage after fermentation might,

California commons are a crossover style between ales and lagers, not meant to replicate or rival true lagers, Depending on tastes, they can sub for lager drinkers who can't ferment low, but Anchor aimed at a different, niche market and tossed in an underappreciated hop, Northern Brewer.
I'm currently experimenting with the yeast, just to see what it can do but I am quite happy with the results so far. If the Helles I am currently carbing in the keg will taste as nice as a properly, cold fermented Helles, I'm happy. I know of people who swear by the yeast and others who hate it. In my case, the jury is still out but I am confident it performs well. I bought 4 packs of it and used 2 so far, 3 if you count today's brew as well. Next try will be an Aussie type lager and after that, I will see what I think of the yeast. I don't intend to use it as a replacement for proper lager yeast but for a quick and dirty "lagers", I'd be inclined to use it.

Back