Mangrove Jacks Dry Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25599

Reaction score
I've just put down a Mangrove Jacks Dry Blonde kit, as per the instructions on the can (can of extract, 1kg dextrose). Went into the fermenter this morning.

I'm making this for a big BBQ I'm having later on in the year and want to get another one into my second fermenter ASAP so there's plenty to go around, with some left over for my own enjoyment (hopefully!).

I want to make the second one a little different, but am not yet willing to move up to steeping grains or adding hops etc. I was thinking about using dry malt in place of dextrose to make it a little different to the standard kit (I'm not too concerned if it's an amazing beer or not, but would like it to be drinkable). I think having two of the same basic recipe but with slightly different ingredients, that were made at the same time, would also be a good learning exercise for me - to see how different fermentables can effect the flavour and colour.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, but am not sure whether it's likely to have any ill-effects. I've never had this beer at all before so it's totally uncharted territory.

Has anybody done this before?
Would it be worth doing?

(This linked thread suggests this method, along with some other additions which in time I may do: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...howtopic=60215)

dont use the dex, use 1kg Dry malt and maybe just a light hopping with saaz, hallertua or hersbrucker...12 gms boiled in 2 litres water with 200gm of malt for 10 mins added to
your fermenter.
the blonde is quite a light beer and doesnt need much to tart it up.
if you want to steep some grains maybe some carapils...steep about 200gm in a couple litres of water, drain and use this water for your hop boil.
This want give you anything too outrageous but is a starting point for playing with other grains...a little pale crystal, 50gm would go alright for a little extra grain and colour hit.

Given that I linked that post it's probably safe to assume that I've read it too. Maybe it's just me, but I can't figure how reading it again helps answer my questions?

Has anybody done a straight swap of dextrose for dry malt (no hops, no extra grains)?
Is it worthwhile doing?

Yes and yes.

**** Dex!
Any insight about how it effects the flavour? Tough to answer (or for me to comprehend at least) as I have no reference point. It's more out of interest rather than going to do anything different as a result I guess.

Fuller bodies. Sweeter. Higher FG.

Personally I think a small amount of dex can be a good thing in extract type beers but the majority being malt rather than dex or sucrose will give it a lift. Certainly nothing bad at all will come from what you are suggesting so best thing for you is to do exactly what you say - tin + kg of dex (already done).

Tin + malt to get the same gravity. Malt is less fermentable and contains less fermentable extract so you can't simply replace 1kg for 1kg and expect the same gravity.

Then tin + brew enhancer to get the same gravity. Depending on the brew enhancer - you will find many are a combo of dex, malt extract and maltodextrin (only slightly fermentable adding body and very little in the way of alc or flavour).

Do all three - compare and learn and find your preferred sweet spot.

But if you're steeping some crystal, would you still bother with dex?

2 different things.

Crystal will give some body, sweetness, colour and grain flavour. Dex will give alcohol, minimum body and ferment right out. The dex (small portion only - say 250 g in a 23 L batch) can just pull extract and full malt brews back from being too sweet or thick. They can balance/complement each other.

AG brews shouldn't need it because you can control that factor with mash temps although it has its place in some styles.

Then tin + brew enhancer to get the same gravity. Depending on the brew enhancer - you will find many are a combo of dex, malt extract and maltodextrin (only slightly fermentable adding body and very little in the way of alc or flavour).

So by using brew enhancer 2, there are less fermentables? Does this mean a little dex should be added also?

Being called a dry blonde, does that mean it has the enzyme in there for producing dry lower fg beers?
If it doesn't, I would agree with manticle that using 1kg of dry malt will end up with a beer thats too sweet and thick tasting. Ideally 500-750g is good and the rest dextrose.

If it does contain the enzyme it would be interesting to see how the fg ends up using 1kg of dry malt vs 1kg dex.

So by using brew enhancer 2, there are less fermentables? Does this mean a little dex should be added also?

BE2 is 50% dextrose, 25% dry malt extract and 25% maltodextrin. The maltodextrin won't ferment completely and helps with head retention. You can check how it will affect your ABV and FG by punching the quantities into ianh's spreadsheet, ie, 500g dextrose, 250g light dry malt, 250g maltodextrin.

To the OP, personally I'd be going with BE2 rather than straight malt extract to begin with. There'll be enough malt in that to appreciate the difference.

Yes there are less fermentables. To my mind best off brewing as is - as much to learn what everything does as anything - then tweak amounts and ratios next time. Just be aware that 500g of malt extract will not give the same gravity as 500g of dextrose.

I have brewed the MJ Blonde and I didn't think it was great. Added a brew boost bag, US 05 and it ended up pretty dark and malty for a blonde. Good luck. Had much more luck with Coopers Canadian Blonde if you want a light "lagery" beer.

Thanks for the advice all. Playing around with calculations it looks like 500g dry malt and 500g dex will get me close to the same FG. Going to mix it up this morning.

Fuller bodies. Sweeter. Higher FG.

Personally I think a small amount of dex can be a good thing in extract type beers but the majority being malt rather than dex or sucrose will give it a lift. Certainly nothing bad at all will come from what you are suggesting so best thing for you is to do exactly what you say - tin + kg of dex (already done).

Tin + malt to get the same gravity. Malt is less fermentable and contains less fermentable extract so you can't simply replace 1kg for 1kg and expect the same gravity.

Do all three - compare and learn and find your preferred sweet spot.

I would totally agree with manticle on this one. I did a north English brown ale with just amber dry malt and added hops, no dex at all.
The beer resulted in a nice malty finish and fuller body but the abv ended up being a little low at 4%. If I ended up putting some dex in that would of resulted in a higher abv. Keeping in mind dex is totally fermentable adding essentially to the alcohol. I have read however that too much dex can leave a dry finish to your beer. Experimentation is the key. And a good excuse to brew more batches with differences ;)

Latest posts

Back