Mangrove Jack's Burton Union M79

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. So phenolic, banana, bubblegum rather than apple, pear, cherry, stonefruit? Has anyone tried it at 15-16°C? Thinking of using it for an English Bitter as I have a couple of packs in the fridge.

Mine's fermenting at 19-20C. I'll leave it for 2 weeks before pulling a gravity sample and then bottling.

I'm using it in a Red Ale that I've previously made only with M44 (US West Coast) and quite a bit of dry hops. I'm thinking I won't dry hop this batch because I'd like the malts (and some toffee that I put in at end of boil) to come through. I'll report back my impression of the yeast once I taste it.

Adr_0 said:
Hmmm. So phenolic, banana, bubblegum rather than apple, pear, cherry, stonefruit? Has anyone tried it at 15-16°C? Thinking of using it for an English Bitter as I have a couple of packs in the fridge.
I wouldn't describe it that way. Here's what I thought:

TheWiggman said:
The flavour and aroma of the Better Red Than Dead are as fruity as any beer I've ever had. Stronger on the nose than to taste, but very prominent sultana and chutney type flavour which dominate the beer. I'd say it'll settle over the next few weeks, but it's fruity as buggery now and favours low carbonation.
Been a while now but I don't recall any phenolic-like flavours, it was chutney and fruit all the way.

I got a lot of banana and pear, a little clove. And quite high attenuation. Not what I was aiming for at the time, but I am holding a packet for a planned UK Strong/Old Ale (TOP-esque) as I notice my favorite examples (TOP, BrakspearTriple III, Riggwelter) have a pretty estery nose (not unlike many Belgian beers, but more fruity and less pronounced).

kaiserben said:
Mine's fermenting at 19-20C. I'll leave it for 2 weeks before pulling a gravity sample and then bottling.

I'm using it in a Red Ale that I've previously made only with M44 (US West Coast) and quite a bit of dry hops. I'm thinking I won't dry hop this batch because I'd like the malts (and some toffee that I put in at end of boil) to come through. I'll report back my impression of the yeast once I taste it.
Just reporting back - I bottled this a few hours ago.

I did get a few whiffs of banana during transfer. But when smelling a sample in glass all I could smell was beautiful toffee/malt.

It tasted amazing; a slight boozy touch to it (it does clock in over 6% abv, so that could be why). I don't think I'd describe it as the same boozy like a Belgian dubbel. It was much cleaner and maltier than that. Thinking back to it now there was possibly a bit of chutney as described by TheWiggman.

I got phenolics from it as well, no fruit/nut at all. Was very disappointing and each comp I entered it in came back with those flavours/aromas not appropriate to style. Won't use it again.

I think that has sold it for me. I'm no sure what chutney flavour is, but I'm hearing more Belgian characteristics than something closer to 1275. Ah well.

What pitching rates did you use fraser_john? I used two packs in 23l, would that have anything to do with it?

Topher said:
Anyone get craploads of diacetyl? Well I assume it's diacetyl, tastes like a butter menthol was dropped in the glass.
Necro alert:

Yes. I have never made a beer with diacetyl in my life. Got the chur session IPA Grainfather kit which came with M79. Pitched two rehydrated packets started at 18 and ramped up to 22C. I did a forced diacetyl test and thought I picked up a whiff so upped the temp to 22C for a couple of days to try and clean it up. Anyway, the finished beer has the slightest hint of diacetyl, which I f@cking hate. Will not be using this yeast ever again.

I've detected no diacetyl any time I've used it. (but I can't vouch for my threshold for tasting it, as I've never really noticed it except in a fault tasting seminar)

The other night I happened to taste my beer mentioned earlier (post #85), which I'd hidden away at the back of my cupboard for 7 months. And now it tastes absolutely amazing. Will definitely re-make my recipe again and use M79. I wouldn't change a thing.

Did a simple english bitter with it and am now just tasting it. Definitely get a bit of spiciness/belgian style yeast flavour (at least that I can tell).

Not sure on the fruitiness of it, but I have another graff and hoppy amber coming up. See if I can pick up anything.

I fermented around 19 C for both of those.

Back