Mangrove Jack's Burton Union M79

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
36 hours now and no krausen yet from the m79 a few bits of protein have floates to the surface though so I think it has started, I also thought I saw a few bubbles come to the surface but very little activity at this stage. My coopers commercial one however is going CRAZy! Kicked off after about 15 hours and has been tearing it up since then

With one batch recently I didn't see krausen at all - but it most definitely fermented out. (I'm assuming it just formed and then dropped really quickly and somehow didn't leave any high tide marks inside the fermenter).

The only 100% thing to trust is your gravity readings.

Got home this arvo too find the m79 batch now has a good size krausen, looks like its been there a wile so I would say maybe 38 hours till krausen.will report back when its done if the 17 degree ferment helps the ester levels

I used this yeast on my last English pale, it fermented pretty good but at room temp it threw heaps of ester, flocced out good too, I reckon it would be better at a lower temp <18C. Or better used for porters or stouts.I reckon I probably prefer WLP007 dry english ale over this stuff personally.

Soooo took an gravity reading today and the coppers batch is at 1010 and the m79 is still at 1026 after 6 days :/ not too impressed at the moment... The hydro sample was almost dead flat too so its pretty much stalled. Gave the fermenter a good rock and raised the temp up to 20 in a hope to bring it back

Good news guys checked the gravity on these brews tonight and the m79 kicked off again after raising the temp so has now bottomed out at 1010. Initial tastes from the hydro sample seem good I will report back in a few weeks when its all carbed up

Used this yeast on an ESB on Friday arvo. Tired and half cut, i added an extra kg of grain without realizing. Ended up with an OG of 1063 :blink: Only had 1 pack of yeast, so in it went. Had a decent krausen after 12 hours.

Bottled both batches tonight and I must say the m79 has dropped clear as! Just two weeks in primary with no cold crash and its already pretty clear. It tasted pretty good too, I'm looking forward to tasting it alongside the coopers batch

Just having my coopers clone with m79 now and I really like it actually! No Belgian esters at all, fairly clean with just enough enough English character to make it interesting

So does this yeast anything like 1275? The performance seems similar but don't get a log of banana out of 1275 — more light pear and cherry. I will of course rehydrate and throw a litre of wort in to kick it off. Any comparison, a worthy substitute?

Well I can safely say this is not much chop as a bottle fermenting yeast. I didn't fully appreciate the 'Burton Union' and requirement to be kept moving... so batch prime and bottling is probably the worst possible thing for it. I'll just have to roll them around each day I guess, and stick to S-04 for bottle conditioning in future...

I had just under 9L in an oak barrel, so very little yeast in suspension (1275) and very little CO2.

I had 1/3 packet of M79, rehydrated, with about 7-8g/L of dextrose solution which should be about 2.5volCO2. It has worked wonders before, e.g. using wine yeast for cider or S-04 for beer.

It has only been 10 days, but there was only the slightest, minute hiss, the beer is dead flat and there is a nice slurry on the bottom of each bottle. So I wondered if it flocs really well and relies on continued suspension to multiply (i.e. the Burton Union system), so in my bottle conditioning situation where there is still, enclosed wort it has just flocced out without doing any multiplication/chewing.

Another bottle may be different, and obviously another week or two could help... but using this method normally gets me nicely carbonated in 1-2 weeks.

I've just got around to trying this yeast again.

Pitched 2 x Rehydrated sachets into 23L of 1.061 wort at 6pm Sunday evening. Aerated with pure O2. Temp held at 19C. Signs of yeast activity seen at 2am (8 hours after pitching). Obvious krausen sighted at 9am Monday morning (<15 hours after pitching). No problems there whatsoever.

Made a 1.5 liter yeast starter up with this yeast ...... first time doing a starter , went from 2 packets in 500mls of wort to 1.5ltrs of wort

was a cm of krausen pretty much straight away and was going ape shit 2 hours after pitching ( I use the lid and the airlock ....I like the sound haha )

Yeast starters from now on I think ..... from the few times I have used Mangrove jacks yeasts without a starter they have taken a while to start showing any krausen

I like your commitment kaiserben ....checking your fermenter at 2 am hahah

Spohaw said:
One must remain vigilant! (but in reality I'm a night owl and was up watching English Premier League)

Spohaw said:
Made a 1.5 liter yeast starter up with this yeast ...... first time doing a starter , went from 2 packets in 500mls of wort to 1.5ltrs of wort

was a cm of krausen pretty much straight away and was going ape shit 2 hours after pitching ( I use the lid and the airlock ....I like the sound haha )

Yeast starters from now on I think ..... from the few times I have used Mangrove jacks yeasts without a starter they have taken a while to start showing any krausen

Did you make a starter from dried yeast?

So what are the flavours that come off this yeast?

I used this yeast at 19 degrees in 1070 wort.

Belgian character. I like it.

I made a starter. But i do for every yeast dry or wet.

Latest posts

Back