Mangrove Jack Pear Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BW, I recently made a very small batch of pear cider from the canned supermarket pear juice. I also added some ginger as an experiment.
Mine was only in bottle for 2 weeks before I tasted it. Had a very sour, unpleasant smell. Tasted sweet and peary with a nice ginger warmth. I am hoping the bad smell goes with time. Will crack another bottle in a couple of weeks and see.

Early days for both of you.

Bearded wonder - was it anything like sulphur/egg? That is common and can come from a lack of nutrients. Usually it dissipates given time. Otherwise consider the fact that you are essentially fermenting fruit product so to smell like fermenting fruit is par for the course. It will come good with time.

@Surly: Good to know it's not an isolated event!

@Manticle: now that you mention sulphur, it did have a bit of a sulphur wang to it. Considering that it tasted pretty awesome, I was pretty sure it was just a result of fermenting fruit. But I was a little scared that it was an issue that began with an off smell.

I'll just do what is most difficult and leave it all alone.

Fossey,

You mentioned using canned pear juice and dark brown sugar, what was the ratio of juice:sugar that you used?

I would like to try a 70% Pear, 30% Apple combination and adding some canned strawberries in with the mix.

Also, I have recently made the Mangrove Jacks Pear cider, Whilst I like the flavour, it is still borderline too sweet with the added flavouring. It does age nicely though.

Cheers,

Ben

BenLister said:
Fossey,

You mentioned using canned pear juice and dark brown sugar, what was the ratio of juice:sugar that you used?

I would like to try a 70% Pear, 30% Apple combination and adding some canned strawberries in with the mix.

Also, I have recently made the Mangrove Jacks Pear cider, Whilst I like the flavour, it is still borderline too sweet with the added flavouring. It does age nicely though.

Cheers,

Ben
Here's my brew notes…

1 Dec 2012 - 1715 hrs
1 Gallon Batch

200g dark brown sugar
1 kg of Pear halves mashed in
own juice
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Topped up with canned Pear
juice (4.5 x 850mL cans used)
5g pectinol
EC-1118 yeast rehydrated

OG - 1065

7 Dec 2012
Stopped bubbling. Racked off fruit and lees.

SG - 1010

Topped up with 850mL can pear juice, 5 g pectinol, 7g malic acid,
1/2 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup apple juice (apple juice used as no more pear on hand).

15 Dec 2012
Stopped bubbling again, left to age.

11 Feb 2013
Cold crashed

16 Feb 2013
1010 after crash
Backsweeten / prime 3/4 cup pear juice conc.
1024 after backsweeten / prime.

29 March 2013
First taste of final product, PASS!!!

I do a version of the Mangrove Jack Pear Cider.

I use the concentrate from the pack, then jack that up with 16L of Coles/Woolies Apple juice.
I add a decent yeast mutrient, 5g of Malic Acid, and CY17. I find the CY17 drops out a bit quick and seems to give a decent mouth feel.

If I'm feeling dirty I'll backsweeten in the keg with Bickfords Peach Tea Cordial or Bottlegreen Elderflower Cider to give sweet flavoured ciders.

It gets the SWMBO and friends hammered in short time...

Interesting opinions in this thread so far, so thank you.

MJ Pear is my second attempt at brewing and i've kept it as th kit instructed. I'm at day five of the fermenting process.

I'm considering throwing in some pear slices as a few people have recommended or blend uo the pears to a puree. Any thoughts which would be better for a true pear flavour?

Anthony, I would brew the kit as the kit suggests and not make changes until you know what the final results of the kit are, then add pear or whatever to your next batch if you feel more flavour is required.

Thanks mate. I'm sticking to the kit for my first two brews but reading everyone's great ideas on the forum is inspiring me to be a bit creative.

I recently brewed a batch of that mangrove pear cider. I love it. I only put in half the flavour satchel though. I didn't want it to end up too sweet like a rekordaling (spelling?). I'll do it again.

I found out this arvo that they will be releasing a mixed berry kit next week, I will be trying that one!

Natdene said:
I found out this arvo that they will be releasing a mixed berry kit next week, I will be trying that one!

Just put one of these in the keg today. Have to say that it tasted very very dry compared to the apple or pear kits that i have done before. So dry i back sweetened the lot with sugar free cordial (its what i had). Has any one tried this mixed berry one yet?

Im hoping its not sour and operator error?

Has anyone tried the Strawberry and Pear one? Thinking about brewing this as a means for my GF to look at the brewing as a positive thing and something that benifits her as well ;) She hates beer, and know she likes the Strawberry and Pear Kopparberg Ciders so just wanting to know if these are similar in taste?

manus said:
Has anyone tried the Strawberry and Pear one? Thinking about brewing this as a means for my GF to look at the brewing as a positive thing and something that benifits her as well ;) She hates beer, and know she likes the Strawberry and Pear Kopparberg Ciders so just wanting to know if these are similar in taste?
Manus, I have one kegged now for a party on the weekend. I think it is sweet and taste similar to the Kopparberg, my wife liked it and I will give somemore feed back after the party. I will take a pic when I get home to show the colour

How did the Strawberry and Pear go Natdene??

Looking at making this week for the mrs

I bought my Mrs a strawberry and pear MJ kit for chrissy, she finally brewed it up and kegged it 2 weeks ago now
The instructions weren't the clearest and she accidentally put the flavouring pouch in at the start of the ferment, instead of 2 days before kegging
it's a little sulphery and isn't as fruity as I'd imagine it would usually be, also not bright pink like the pack says (I'm guessing fermentation scrubbed out the flavour and colour)
However it's still quite nice, she's been adding a little splash of diet rite cordial to it in the glass to bring the sweetness back up

Doug22 the results from the party were mixed. Most of the girls liked it, but some said not sweet enough?, and some said it tasted a bit too much like beer??, most of the guys who tried it loved it, it was sweet enough for me and it is nice and refreshing with a few ice cubes on a hot summer day. I will be doing it again, so easy for good tasting cider image.jpg

HBHB said:
The extra sachet that goes in 2 days before bottling simply puts back aroma and flavour compounds that get lost out of the airlock during primary fermentation.
I know this post is old.. but are you referring to the artificial sweetner that comes with the Magrove Jacks Pouch as the (extra sachet)

I am about to bottle the Mangroves Ginger Beer and i'm worried it wont be very sweet..

The starting OG was 1.041
and atm is currently 1.012
(after 3 weeks @ 20-21 degrees in a fridge contrlled by an stc-1000 temp controller)

Used Nottingham Yeast (which I liquidfied)
& Steeped 300 grams of diced ginger.

Def tastes like ginger but may not be sweet.

Should I ad the artificial sweetner and then bottle a few days later?

Latest posts

Back