Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to give the yeast a try but I only have 1 pack of m44, for 25litres of 1055wort. This is well below the 1g/litre recommended here.

I do also have a pack of Us05 here. Anyone tried blending different yeast brands? Is one pack per batch a serious underpitch? Should I just get another pack?

You could get another pack or just build up the yeast's strength by pitching it into a light beer at 22 L, then drain that off when fermented and pitch a stronger beer on top of that.... etc.

Alternatively, I wonder if you could do something like this? Start the yeast off on half 25 L. When you see it's activate, feed the yeast (and the beer) by adding portions of your wort every day or so, nudging the yeast up to higher alcohol tolerances and encouraging it to keep dividing. Like you'd do with a yeast starter when building up cell counts.

Topher said:
Wanted to give the yeast a try but I only have 1 pack of m44, for 25litres of 1055wort. This is well below the 1g/litre recommended here.

I do also have a pack of Us05 here. Anyone tried blending different yeast brands? Is one pack per batch a serious underpitch? Should I just get another pack?
personally i reckon you'll be okay. it will lag (the m44) but if you're concerned just use the us-05 or to give you piece of mind, grab another pack. then it'll stop you from worrying

Quick update on my latest brew.

First time i've used M27.
My mash schedule was slightly cocked up - overshot the sacch step to 70°C for a few mins before dropping it back to 64-5°C.

FWIW, after 5 days the M27 has dropped the wort from 1.045 to 1.004 - attenuation of ~86%, i think.
The FV's been gradually ramped from 24°C for the first 24hrs to 29°C over the last 24hrs

iambj said:
Well perhaps I should apologize then.

But I won't, dried yeast is for lazy brewers or new brewers. I often hear other brewers who is so careful about there brews, then use a sub standard yeast.
Sorry mate, but that's a pretty dumb post.

Would you say Mountain Goat, Kooinda and a lot of other professional brewers who consistently turn out quality beers are "lazy" and don't know what they doing?

Used the M07 in a Celtic Red Ale a few months ago. After only using spun up started from WYeast for a few years it was the slowest start I've expierenced in years! 36 hrs or so, but granted I didn't rehydrate.

Anyway, it finished soon enough and ended up a nice malty beverage.

Since then I've used the M02 Cider a couple of times and am about to use it again. I find it creates a nice clean cider which is quick to get drinking after kegging. I leave it for about 6 weeks in the fermenter and it gets to about 0.098 or 99. Keg and carb. First few days its tastes a bit like a champagne/wine yeast, but it quickly drops clear and then just tastes like a nice clean cider.

It does tend to lose its zing after a month or two in the keg, but it never lasts that long anyway.

Which is why I'm putting another one on tonight ;)

Also have a packet of M79 to try later.

I read on another forum that people were thinking the M44 US West Coast was actually (or substantially similar to) PacMan

I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated M44 (US West Coast) onto a 1.066 IPA - at 20deg - took almost 2 days to show any *visible* signs of fermentation (I didn't check gravity at that stage) - now, a week from pitching it seems to have finished at an apparent attenuation of 76%, I'm happy with that. WIll give it another day & cold crash it.

I'm not crazy for cider, but the two ciders I've made with the M02 have been enjoyed by all. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

M44 in a 1.060 amber. 36hrs and still no activity. If there's still nothing in the morning I'm pitching us05. I really like this yeast but by crikey the lag times make me nervous

OK so I got impatient and hydrated some Us05 only to find only 30mins after initially checking that krausen was starting to form... WTF.... Half an hour. I chucked half the US05 in for good measure anyway. Will teach me for being so impatient

First time pitching the west coast ale yeast, pitched 2 packets into 23l 1.062 wort. 2 days gone and no activity!!!! Is there a bad batch maybe?? I have just given it a good stir and I'll leave it out of the ferm fridge for a couple of hours, if nothing by tomorrow arvo I'll be hitting it with us05.

it should pick up soon man, see my earlier post. it didn't appear to do much for the first two days, but hammered through it for the next 4-5

Hope so, didn't have time for a starter that's why I pitched 2 packets. Thought it may have been out of date but best before is 2/16

I'm going to be repitching some of the slurry into a pale this week, will see if it behaves differently

Just updating, came home from work this arvo and to my surprise I have krausen!!!!

Bavarian Wheat and British Ale pitched yesterday and krausen this morning.

Also had a quick start with bavarian wheat the other week. Tastes fantastic also.

Out of all the MJ range I've tried, the Yankee M44 is the only one that has been frighteningly slow to start for me. There should be a disclaimer on the M44 pack: Stop ******* stressing. It will start and finish!

Just cracked a keg of saison using the Belgian Ale. I'm really happy with it. No fermentation fridge, so kept in an esky full of water @ 26'. Finished up in about a week.
Really decent fruity and slightly tart flavours, typical aromas for Belgian saison yeast, and it chewed the wort from 1045-1002 yet has a beautiful mouth feel and not overly dry at all. This ticks all the boxes for me.

Back