Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have 2 IPAs going with slurry from Burton Union.
Tasted today, both tasted like they should, down to below 1020 from above 1050. One is UK one is US.

RelaxedBrewer said:
" Mangrove Jack’s dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew. "
It occurred to me just now a reason why they might state this, perhaps more so aimed at commercial brewing.

If they cannot guarantee that yeast is free enough from contaminant organisms, then after subsequent pitches they could multiply to numbers which may be problematic. That could justify the statement.

I'm not gonna worry about it.

Pitched the Bavarian Wheat yeast last night on a wit of my own devising.... a weird thing using lichen instead of hops; getcha full details here. It was up and cranking by this morning with a full frothy krausen and some sweet whiffs coming up - I assume the 'banana' and 'clove' esters. The yeast even smelled kinda bananay and clovey coming out of the packet. I rehydrated at about 30 as per instructions.

My hope for this is to have some yeasty flavours to go with the licheny flavours; I may be doing a bit of back-bittering/flavouring in secondary fermentation to get the taste just right.

Meantime: another pale ale on MJ British Ale yeast (I think I've mentioned this already?) and a red ale on Newcastle Ale yeast; both fermenting steadily. I'm pleased to say this time I got noticeable signs of British Ale yeast fermentation overnight. Looks like the rehydration really is the key.

dent said:
It occurred to me just now a reason why they might state this, perhaps more so aimed at commercial brewing.

If they cannot guarantee that yeast is free enough from contaminant organisms, then after subsequent pitches they could multiply to numbers which may be problematic. That could justify the statement.

I'm not gonna worry about it.
I had some slurry from an M44 in the fridge for not longer than 2 weeks to repitch in a new batch, it tasted of autolysis even after that short time. Ive had slurries from other yeasts in the fridge for a year without that burnt rubber taste.

But if you gave them something to eat, say, a starter with nutrients, you'd surely be able to culture a fresh batch and leave the autolysis flavours behind?

Online Brewing Supplies said:
You are all going to hell ;)
Nev
Just sell them one of those new shiny conicals you sell nev. Thatll make up for them not buying more yeast!

indica86 said:
Side by side brews with US05 and M44 this time.
US05 signs in 12 hours.
M44 56 hours before any sign.
What was the outcome of this? In particular flavour, clarity and attenuation?

I'm putting down the Somerset Gold Cider recipe with the Mo2 Cider yeast,will report back results.

danestead said:
What was the outcome of this? In particular flavour, clarity and attenuation?
The M44 one was arse, I feel I may have done something wrong though as I usually like the yeast.

indica86 said:
The M44 one was arse, I feel I may have done something wrong though as I usually like the yeast.
Did you get a differenet FG to the US05? Im just interested because someone has brewed my Hop Hog Clone with the M44 yeast and it seemed to attenuate quite a bit more. Im wondering if that is typical of the M44

Not sure on the arse beer, previous APAs have gone below 1010, so I have found the attenuation is good.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
I rehydrate and start it off in 4L then top up to volume when at full krausen, mostly at 18C.
thats an interesting technique Nev, If my thining is right.... you add the yeast to the FV and add only 4litrs ( possibly no chill wort ) and then when fermentation has formed krausen you pour the rest of the wort inn and away it goes?

Pratty1 said:
thats an interesting technique Nev, If my thining is right.... you add the yeast to the FV and add only 4litrs ( possibly no chill wort ) and then when fermentation has formed krausen you pour the rest of the wort inn and away it goes?
Only did this for cider, I do the first run in a glass FV then transfer to a Cornie and top up with juice.
I did this mainly because I wasnt sure the Cider yeast pack had enough nutrients (included) to get the whole lot going at once, so basically I did a big starter.
Didnt get any sulfur stink so I think it works this way.
Nev

Hi guys, I've tried two brews with Mangrove Jacks and both have been disappointing. Both ales, and both times the English Ale yeast. I brew from extract, primary fermentation was nice and cool , below 19 degrees, and I let it warm up a bit for the last few points like I always do. Primed with 5.5g of dextrose/litre.
Both have failed to carbonate well and I can taste a bit of the priming sugar in the bottle after 6 weeks at room temp, and both have had a slightly phenolic aftertaste.
Anyone else had problems like these?

I have lately been having a few carbonation issues of my own but at the moment I'm hesitant to blame it on the yeast. Could be a side effect of the cold weather.

Back