mangrove jack brew pouch experience ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
heya

was my birthday last week and the mother in law gave me 2 of these kits with some brew enhancer .she went to a local homebrew shop and they chose it .got the the IPA and the Helles

gonna put the IPA on first after bottling my dubbel this weekend

anyone used these things? how' d they turn out ?

have some galaxy and cascade pellets in the freezer so will do some dry hopping but also thinking about steeping some crystal grains and doing a quick boil as well to build more flavour as its only 35 ibu onthe pack . low for how I like my IPA's

any experience with these ?

My next door neighbour started his brewing with these last year and all though I agree with bourbonaondoj about the price they do make very good beers.

Can't speak for the beers, but the missus loves the ciders. Have done both the 'Apple' and the 'Peach & Passion' varieties, much better than Blackrock can I tried previously.
As per previous comments, a bit pricey, but very simple & a pretty good finished product imo.

Can't speak for the beers, but the missus loves the ciders. Have done both the 'Apple' and the 'Peach & Passion' varieties, much better than Blackrock can I tried previously.
As per previous comments, a bit pricey, but very simple & a pretty good finished product imo.

these are the best kits i've ever come across.

I brew all grain however if these had been around when i was kit brewing I probably would have stayed with kits for a lot longer. If you trick them up with a few spec grains and use malt instead of dextrose you'll make a very nice beer.

thanks all. soudns like I dont need to meess with it too much

Put it on today. Didn't do a boil or anything. Just the kit with 1kg enchancer. Am going to dry hop it.

Smelled good in the fermenter. Have to say getting it all out of the pouch was a bit of a prick.

The pouches are pricks. A way to retrieve the instructions without opening the inner pouch would be beneficial.

Not the best idea putting instructions inside and what yeast comes with IPA and the Helles.

wynnum1 said:
Not the best idea putting instructions inside and what yeast comes with IPA and the Helles.
The IPA had an english ale yeast. I think it was their M07 but thewife was out and the baby was awake and crying as I was ready to pitch so I just chucked it in without too much attention paid to what it was

these kits tricked up with a little spec malt are fantastic. I bought my sister a home brew kit for her birthday. We added 300g caramunich II and boied 10g amarillo for 5mins. 30g dry hop in the fermenter. Turned up a treat.

The Northern Bitter does what it says on the tin (? Pouch?). I made mine with a kg of dextrose and 10g of dextrose to prime a plastic keg I use. (after cold crash for a couple of days)
Not huge on flavour, but nicely bitter, just like a pint in a Yorkshire pub.
Yes, I did say 10g to prime, I like my bitter warm and flat.
Starting another today.

so it seems its finished a little higher than I expected. 1014 .

dry hopped it and giving it itll the weekend ot make sure its done then I'll crash

sample tasted good

mongey said:
so it seems its finished a little higher than I expected. 1014 .

dry hopped it and giving it itll the weekend ot make sure its done then I'll crash

sample tasted good

Nope not done. Sat on 1014 for 3 days. While grabbing a beer I decided to do another test last night and it had dropped 4 points.

Currently on a brewing hiatus. Visited a work colleague last night who has been brewing kits forever. He's moved onto the MJ Craft pouches and I have to say the product was fantastic. Much closer to a full extract or partial flavour with zero kit twang. They might cost a little more than a normal can but the product is much better than any kit and bits I ever made. Seeing as I'm lacking an all grain system at the moment I think I'll be knocking out a few of these kits in the meantime. Highly recommend the Craft Series Pale Ale.

Finally got this bottled. Ended up cold crashing for 2 and a half weeks as had no time to bottle.

Came out super clear and tasted really good out of fermenter.

Just drinking some American pale ale pouch from the keg that I added some Dex to and I must say it's fantastic. If you have tried James squires hop thief and liked it you will like this. Next time I might try it with be2 instead of Dex but it's a great Amber hoppy ale.

Latest posts

Back