Mango Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
any of our northern members tried putting some mango flavour into there beers.?
its the mango season at the moment and ive shit loads so was thinking of putting some dried mango or the pulp into a coopers lager kit ive got hanging around as a bit of an experiment.

thoughts guys?

cheers
big d

I'm not really classed as a northern brewer but.....

I like brewing Weisse beers and adding some mango juice to the top of the glass. Having one right now. Tastes great.

Not sure about using it as a fermentable though.

Beers,
Doc

cheers doc.
i like that idea but ive heaps of mangos so just wanna have a bit of fun with a coopers can.probably do a partial with some extra hops added as well.just a filler in between ag brews.

cheers
big d

Sounds great big d ours are just about to start ,,, keep us posted on your progress...

FNQbunyip

no worries fnq bunyip
will keep you posted

cheers
big d

Bigd

make a mango mead, not mango beer!

Not enough mead makers in Oz (yeah, I know, another hobby horse of mine. . .) but a good mango mead would be killer!

Also, look up fruit butters on the web: these have no butter in them, just fruit boiled down then some sugar added and boiled down a bit further. Much better than jam, very concentrated fruit flavor. Not much available on mango butter, but where you are you could and should try making some.

I am looking forward to making apricot/peach/plum butter and/or mead (melomel/cyser) when my fruit trees are full of fruit.

Toast spread thickly with peach butter in the middle of winter. . .for a minute you escape the cold and are back in summer again.

Jovial Monk

I've read about some mango wine recipes that sound good too, where all (or the lion's share, anyway) of the fermentable sugars come from the mango. It sounds quite nice, but will take up to a year to be completely and enjoyably drinkable (read: presentable to the guests). However, in my experience a mead is going to take at least this long anyway. I forget the link but it's easy to find recipes if you plug 'mango wine' or 'mango wine recipe' into google. If I end up staying in Queensland for a few more years I'll most definitely end up trying this myself. Cheers!

ToS

This sounds good!!
I've never liked te hought of fruit in beer before but the mango is getting to me.
What about adding it to the secondary?
Keep us all posted with the updates big d.
Mango ale. mmmmmmmmmm :chug:

cheers

Hi Big D,

"Mangos" or "No Mangos".

Sign on the dunny door at the Cape Crawford hotel toilets, if you know where that is.

All jokes aside, if you read chapter 19 of Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels he goes into a lot of detail with fruit additions in beer and he even mentions Mangos. Well worth the read if you are considering fruit additions.

Cheers

[/QUOTE]I've never liked te hought of fruit in beer before but the mango is getting to me.
Have a go at some of the Belgian Kriek beers - I'm not overly fond of fruit based beers but anything goes in terms of experimentation. And a bit of lime in a corona is a world away from a slice of lemon. Actually makes the Corona worth drinking!!!

pb

cheers guys
betta read the section on fruit additions in rays book.i skipped it so far cause im not really interested until this mango tree in the yard started dropping mangos everywhere.then i thought well give it a try on a kit and see what happens. ;)

cheers
big d

Talk about dragging up old threads....5 yrs...lol

Interesting though, as Matso's Broome Brewery are pumping out Mango beers and the ladies love them.

My older bro has also experimented with the same idea. I believe he uses the Canadian Blond coopers kit as a base coz its so bland. Boils down the mango pulp for 30mins or so, straining the pulp with the watery juice going into the fermenter. Add the usual 1kg of dex/brew enhancer and away we go...

tastes pretty close the matso's version, perhaps a little thinner...

Back