Man Bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dago001

Move Along - Nuthin To See Here
Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers.
Got a trip planned to England/France in September, and after some discussion with Mrs LagerBomb, we are considering a Man Bag.
Now I am at an age where I know that they are socially acceptable, but to me they are just a little "not right". I can understand the reasons for having one, and in this case I will have a Tablet, phone and camera to carry in it.
Just interested if anybody here has one/used one and if so, what type of man bag is suitable for a man brewer.
Cheers
LagerBomb

ij-with-man-bag.jpg

Yep, thats what I was thinking

bum said:
Yep, thats what I am thinking, not sure I can pull that look off in London. Maybe a more of Maguyver look if he did man bags. Maguyvers brew bag would be cool.

macgyver-condom-carrier-bag-p80c232s13a1_d1i996p0z4r1c2f0.png

Well maybe not Maguyvers bag. who wants to carry this around all day

I really wish I could remember who posted that BIAB picture where he was brewing on a gravity 3V system while wearing a grainbag.

Florian said:
Could do this. Mrs LagerBomb is handy with a sewing machine and has made a few bags before. I would like a zip on the top mind you. Cant trust the boys from pommy land too much.

LagerBomb said:
Could do this. Mrs LagerBomb is handy with a sewing machine and has made a few bags before. I would like a zip on the top mind you. Cant trust the boys from pommy land too much.
I'd let her make it into something like this:

wey5.jpeg

Nah - think ill try the indiana jones model - too much like a zip up casual for me.

Maybe put a strap on one of these - definately a brewers bag
5gmeshbag-400x400.jpg

Anything canvassy should be acceptable, but you will have to adopt a complementary "look" to go with it - dreadlocks, goatee beard, heavy tan and hippy clothes always works. And don't get one that tucks round your back, pickpockets' delight. Or one that hangs off one shoulder - bag snatcher's delight.

jyo said:
Well, that's actually what I was looking for but couldn't find it in a hurry. I'd swear that i have seen that sort of bag made out of a grain bag, but can't find it anymore.
Agree that that white bag looks very gay/nanna/whatever, was meant to be a rough example for Lagerbombs wife to work with. Yours fits much better.

Looking like a canvas bag for me - got the tan, could grow a goatee, not enough hair for dreadlocks and hippy clothes might be OK. Dont think MrsLagerBomb will be making one after recent discussions. Apparently she has better things to do with her time :lol:

Just because Indy has one doesn't make it cool :lol:

He also had a small Asian boy too but don't see anyone wanting one of those :huh:

My old man carrys a man clutch type bag.
Now on most men I'd think it was a bit camp. But he has this "god father" thing about him and he gets away with it.

Personally I tried the bag thing for a while - but hell I can't even carry a briefcase without looking like a poindexter.

So I back pack it. Small over one shoulder "sports" type back pack not much bigger than a large camel back.
I have thought a satchel would be a lot handier in city areas though - but I'm not hipster enough for that look.

Under no circumstances are man bags acceptable.
A back pack, old school bag, Fred Flintstone style lunch box ( interestingly known as a "waddle" on some mine sites, as in "waddle I take home tonight") are all OK.
Greenie bag or leather Euro man bag, definitely no.

Cheers
Chris

Not keen on a back pack for various reasons, but mainly want it to carry a small camera, gps, phone and tablet, that sort of stuff. Back packs can be a pain in a crowded situation.
Don't think I can pull off the God Father look.
Gladstone bag maybe?

TasChris said:
Greenie bag or leather Euro man bag, definitely no.
Don't forget he'll be wearing it in Europe, though.

At most places I've been to a translation for the word man bag (which is associated with all sort of negative/gay/hipster things over here) simply doesn't exist.

Men over there are just wearing bags without making a fuss about it.

Latest posts

Back