Man arrested over alleged distillery operation at Perth house

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked into the legalities of this a while back and far to much of it was hear say / conflicting laws. What I believe is the "rough" guide lines are / were;

You can own a still for the purpose of perfume manufacture <5L capacity.

The moment you refine a wash for ethanol production you break the law. Regardless for home consumption or not.

The big issue is if you fail to remove the methanol + (other byproducts to a certain level Head + Tails) though incorrect processes you can kill people. Or have a real bad hospital hangover.

Huge amount of other laws that pertain to this.

Were probably on the edge of getting a mod mad so I recommend jumping on another site and check it out if your still curios.

Personally I see this as illegal as wiring up your own shed / brew gear. The laws there to protect people because someone screwed it up. That + tax

Love the list of what he was making. How did the police arrive at this, read the original labels on the bottles?

Think of all his customers that have to go back to paying retail for Jagermeister- oh the humanity......
Although after seeing the pictures of his filthy operation, maybe they won't mind so much!

Cheers,
RB

Some seriously skanky fermenters there. :icon_vomit:

Guess all the booze kills the nasties but still.....

(pardon the pun)

Thinking ahead of the story I expect this to go to TV pretty quickly. Eg A Current Affair or one of the breakfast TV shows will crash an LHBS somewhere and pester the owner about why he's selling gear to make spirits.

Feldon said:
Thinking ahead of the story I expect this to go to TV pretty quickly. Eg A Current Affair or one of the breakfast TV shows will crash an LHBS somewhere and pester the owner about why he's selling gear to make spirits.
Would'nt surprise me at all,can't wait actually , be interesting to hear their claims and how much research is put into it.
Could be very amusing TV.

Home distilling is a real or potential threat to Big Liquor sales (eg, Dans, BWS, etc). And Big Liquor are big sponsors of commercial TV.

So I expect right now the marketing bods in these companies are putting the call in to the TV networks pushing them to go hard on this story. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Media coverage could invoke the horrors of alcohol-fuelled violence (esp domestic violence), underage drinking, alcoholism, fire risks, health risks from methanol, and the like. Plenty of talking heads from the chattering classes available to speak on these topics.

I would also expect TV coverage to blur the line between spirit making and beer making to scare off newbies to our hobby. Big Liquor includes the big breweries, and Chan 7 in particular has its AFL coverage sponsored by CUB.

Feldon said:
Home distilling is a real or potential threat to Big Liquor sales (eg, Dans, BWS, etc). And Big Liquor are big sponsors of commercial TV.
You really think so?
I dunno. I'd be interested to see the numbers in regard to homebrewing in that instance. I imagine it would be so minuscule as not to warrant a second glance by the fat cats.
DIY wherever possible may be in my nature, but when I choose to drink a spirit, I'll gladly pay for a quality product thats been barrel aged or quadruple charcoal filterer and basically had all the heavy lifting and waiting done.
I cant see watered down neutral spirit with some Jack Daniels essence thrown in driving down the share price of Woolworths ant time soon.

Apologies to any home distillers for my narrow minded dismissal of you craft. I'm sure your hooch is awesome.

Yeah I heard a little more on this, apparently the whole home was converted and dedicated to distilling, he was selling the spirits to teens and whatnot around the area. The police caught on that something was amiss because of the escalated rate of unsociable behaviour in the suburb, and Koondoola is a effin dirtbag suburb in my opinion. Glad he got caught!

Major Arcana said:
Yeah I heard a little more on this, apparently the whole home was converted and dedicated to distilling, he was selling the spirits to teens and whatnot around the area. The police caught on that something was amiss because of the escalated rate of unsociable behaviour in the suburb, and Koondoola is a effin dirtbag suburb in my opinion. Glad he got caught!
I thought he got busted in Camillo not Koondoola.

Feldon said:
hard hitting REAL news. of course they will. some redneck bogan crying about how her junkie husband had a brain-illness from drinking and making his own 90 proof hooch (with both of them speaking in horrible bogan-aussie-english), and wanting revenge from the LHBS owner because it was his/her fault.

fletcher said:
hard hitting REAL news. of course they will. some redneck bogan crying about how her junkie husband had a brain-illness from drinking and making his own 90 proof hooch (with both of them speaking in horrible bogan-aussie-english), and wanting revenge from the LHBS owner because it was his/her fault.
Yeah,their all cunzz an that's all I'm sayin coz if we didn't buy it an they didn't give it we'd all still be good y'now what I mean don'tcha,yep their all cunzz y,know. ;)

And to think I cooked up some meth today... Will sell it legit though, so no reporting,

I must pay more attention to the media so I know what is important.

xo.

Cocko said:
And to think I cooked up some meth today... Will sell it legit though, so no reporting,

I must pay more attention to the media so I know what is important.

xo.
Is it blue?

The main threat is people using stills to produce their own fuel and bypass the massive amount of tax we are paying at the bowsers.

Latest posts

Back