Malty Ale....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
Here's the brew planned for tonight...any comments appreciated.

3 kg pilsner malt
1.65 kg munich malt
0.35 kg caramunich

30g goldings (4.1%) @ 60 mins
10g goldings (4.1%) @ 10 mins
10g goldings (4.1%) @ 1 min

Whitelabs 'London ale' yeast

Hi Iggy

that is going to be one malty brew,
OG 1.051 Ibu's of only 17
You might want to bring you first addition hops up to about 50 g, that will give you an IBU of about 28, this should help to balance out the malt.

Regards
Andrew

I get 20.1 IBU.. I think u are right though 25-30 IBU would be better..

I was intending to keep a low bittering rate so that the girlfriend will drink it...she's always saying my brews are too hoppy.

don't forget that in a malty beer the hop bitterness is hidden or more subdued. I have an oatmeal stout on tap, 50 ibu's, but because of the high malt sweetness the bitterness is almost not recognizable.

Funny, your comment about your girlfriend, my wife thinks that most of my brews are too "thick and sweet".

If you want to make a sweeter brew with less bitterness for easy drinking, just use your base malts with a small percentage of crystal, hop to the mid 20 ibus, but increase your mash temp to 68%.
this will give you a wort with a lot of unfermentable sugars making it sweeter, but will not be overpoweringly sweet and malty from the use of the specialized malts. And the 20 odd ibus will give it a nice hoppy flavour.

regards
Andrew

Latest posts

Back