Malts I'm Producing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome glad it all made it safely.
I love the biscuit too. I may be biased though.
Brewtas told me that the biscuit reminded him of being a kid again and eating Sayos.

Smoke malt would be good, peated would be nice for a laugh as well ( I know Lark gets a fair amount of peat from a couple of bogs down there? ). Good to see some local spec malt options

There is a market for highly peated malt in Australia for the hobby steam collectors ;)

There is a brewery down here that does a once a year beer that gets around 200kgs of plain old JW pale peat smoked by the good people at Lark. It takes 2 days and there is obviously a cost........But...........

One of my clients in my real job has a peat bog. I'm trying to get a hold of some to do some smoking. Otherwise I was thinking Blackwood or pepperberry if I can get enough of it.

Bairds do a heavy peated malt which is readily available in Australia fairly cheaply.

Hey NFH,

Just letting you (& this thread) know of a comment i posted in another thread (it seemed neater to followup with a post here also):

"NFH, I used some of your crystal in the last batch (carbing in bottles as I write) & biscuit in the current batch in the FV. The biscuit smelt (& tasted) amazing as it got crushed. The boiling wort was particularly yummy- so your biscuit was very promising. Similarly with the crystal previously, though it was harder to discern in the high-Munich wort I'd made. Taste tests in a few weeks!"

I'm not sure if the recipes i've used the 2 specs in are going to be the best way to test/highlight those grains, but i'm certainly keen to taste them & give you some feedback.
Otherwise, i'm guessing Manticle et al may be a better judge of the grains, given their experience & repertoire of recipes to test with.

How is the malting going NFH? Is there an update on this?

Well actually there are a few things happening soon which are fairly exciting for us.
I don't want to give too much away just yet but things are going to be looking much bigger very soon...

Coming soon...

IMAG0774.jpg

Sorry I haven't offered my promised review. Only done two brews in that entire time and none were the intended mild.

Hoping labour day (10th down here) will feature a back to back batch which should be kegged a week or so later.
Also Frothie - if you're still about I have yours safe. I remember something about a post office but all my time got stolen. Still want me to head down that road or are you able to pick up?

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully its going to be base malt as well as spec malt. It may negate the need for me to have so much base malt stored at home.
Cheers
LB

Finally getting around to using these.

Doing a dark mild today and tomorrow. It's a beer I've brewede many times so I know how to expect it to taste and it showcases a number of spec malts, including most of the type I purchased from NFH.

Usual recipe is

3kg Simpsons Maris otter
150g Dingemans aromatic
150g Dingemans biscuit
250g Simpsons heritage crystal 70-80L
100g Simpsons chocolate
30g Simpsons roast barley

18g challenger@60 (6.5%aa)
10g@10

As heritage is no longer available, I now mix light, medium and dark in equal quantities.

Todays brew will feature NFH malts where applicable, tomorrow will be as usual. In about 2 weeks I should have a couple of kegs to compare.

Tasting the raw malts, my brief assessment is as follows:

Fair bit of stalk in the kilned malts but very crisp.
Roast malts are quite unevenly roasted, especially the milk choc.

Sweet and raisin flavours in the raw crystals.
Crisp biscuit flavour to the biscuit.
Quite charred/burnt toast character to the choc malts. Simpsons choc (only one I tasted side by side but I'll fix that tomorrow) is a lot more of a dark/bitter choc/roast coffee kind of flavour.

Mostly promising in the raw material, will see how it all pans out in the fermentation.

manticle said:
Also Frothie - if you're still about I have yours safe. I remember something about a post office but all my time got stolen. Still want me to head down that road or are you able to pick up?
No worries mate - sounds like we have the same time management people! I'll send you a pm.

Looking forward to hearing the end result of your brew.

Hey manticle, did you ever post your final review? If so, I missed it. Could you let us know?

manticle said:
Finally getting around to using these.

Doing a dark mild today and tomorrow. It's a beer I've brewede many times so I know how to expect it to taste and it showcases a number of spec malts, including most of the type I purchased from NFH.

Usual recipe is

3kg Simpsons Maris otter
150g Dingemans aromatic
150g Dingemans biscuit
250g Simpsons heritage crystal 70-80L
100g Simpsons chocolate
30g Simpsons roast barley

18g challenger@60 (6.5%aa)
10g@10

As heritage is no longer available, I now mix light, medium and dark in equal quantities.

Todays brew will feature NFH malts where applicable, tomorrow will be as usual. In about 2 weeks I should have a couple of kegs to compare.

Tasting the raw malts, my brief assessment is as follows:

Fair bit of stalk in the kilned malts but very crisp.
Roast malts are quite unevenly roasted, especially the milk choc.

Sweet and raisin flavours in the raw crystals.
Crisp biscuit flavour to the biscuit.
Quite charred/burnt toast character to the choc malts. Simpsons choc (only one I tasted side by side but I'll fix that tomorrow) is a lot more of a dark/bitter choc/roast coffee kind of flavour.

Mostly promising in the raw material, will see how it all pans out in the fermentation.

Latest posts

Back