Malts I'm Producing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also work in the city and occasionally North melbourne if that helps.

PM me your exact order and I'll pass it on to Not for horses.

Might cap at 20 kg.

micblair said:
Do you have any interest in generating any of the following bits of data for brewers?

Moisture
Friability
wort colour
pH
Kolbach
Diastatic power

Obviously some of these are easier to measure than others, but if you're serious in showing you're good at turning green barley into malt which gives good extract in 60 minutes, then releasing your malt against a specification would allow you to charge $5/kg easily.
I don't see why a homebrewer needs that information. It doesn't look like he's having much trouble selling at that price anyway.

treefiddy said:
I don't see why a homebrewer needs that information. It doesn't look like he's having much trouble selling at that price anyway.
I agree.

Hey Mants

I'd be in for a quantity (kg each?) of biscuit, med crystal (1's prob enuff), pale choc & Munich 1 (if it available).

Any space left in the order?

I'd point out i'm newish, so if the idea is to garner constructive feedback i'd admit i'm inexperienced with grains, so my comparisons will be minimal. I'm more just keen to try it out & support a new guy on the block :D

Boy, last night went very far sideways. Took me three hours to get home from work, and only one beer involved. Looks like I've missed out on this one, but I'll organise another Melbs bulk ship soon.

No you haven't missed out. Ill look into a better shipping method for a larger quantity. The bass strait may be shallow but my god will they screw you in the wallet when you try to float something across it. It may take me a bit longer too but I've got a bit more free time in the next couple of weeks so shouldn't be a problem.
Munich (and a few others at the bottom of the list) is still a work in progress at the moment though.

Auspost Prepaid satchels area good fixed price option to anywhere in Australia. 5gk regular satchel is currently $17, not sure you'd fit a full 5kg of grain in, but you'd definately fit 4kg in i reckon.

Mardoo said:
Boy, last night went very far sideways. Took me three hours to get home from work, and only one beer involved. Looks like I've missed out on this one, but I'll organise another Melbs bulk ship soon.

No I was still going to include yours then that would suffice. PM me what you're after and I'll total it all up and forward to Not for horses. We all seem to be after similar malts so if there's not quite enough we can just split.

Hey Not for Horses, we use these guys for courier service at work, not to bad for Hobart to Melbs for freight. Price seems to jump up a fair bit from Launceston to Melbs though.
Only ~$20 Hobart to Melbs for what size I guestimated a 25kg sack to be.

They are a Hunter Express company

http://www.e-go.com.au/home.do

treefiddy said:
I'm sure you could sell hops without any knowledge of total oil or alpha/beta acid content right? But given the choice of knowing vs. not knowing, I know which one I would take any day of the week. Anyway, if your serious about making the best possible beer at home, I'm sure you will take some free advice.

Moisture content : if I'm paying for malt, I want to know how much of that malt I can turn into extract. If a malts water content is 20%, then I'm buying 200g of water p/kilo of malt. Something to think about right? The rest you and ducatiboy can work out for yourself. This is an excellent place to start:

Malt specifications & brewing performance - The Institute of Brewing ...

Yob said:
anything further to this as yet?
Are you referring to manticle's order? Had a thermometer issue and had to redo a whole bunch of crystal :s. Should be posted this week though. On a side note, I just did a colour test on a sample of the milk choc and my wife comes in and says 'oh are making coffee?'. I'm amazed at how similar the colour and taste are. So I made myself a cuppa and it was delicious!

Not For Horses said:
Are you referring to manticle's order? Had a thermometer issue and had to redo a whole bunch of crystal :s. Should be posted this week though. On a side note, I just did a colour test on a sample of the milk choc and my wife comes in and says 'oh are making coffee?'. I'm amazed at how similar the colour and taste are. So I made myself a cuppa and it was delicious!
I guess thats what good old Milo essentially is, malt extract drink. I bet it was delicious.
I reduced some wort(Pre Boil) from a pale ale with some balsamic vinegar and ended up with a tasty malty balsamic reduction as a dressing.

No Munich yet. Munich requires another process that I'm not able to do right now. When I get my temp controller in order I'll be able to do munich, melanoidin and acid malt properly.

Not For Horses said:
No Munich yet. Munich requires another process that I'm not able to do right now. When I get my temp controller in order I'll be able to do munich, melanoidin and acid malt properly.
Lookin' forward to my current lot via Manticle and to checking out your melanoidin in the future!

Picked this up Tues night from Mants.
All smells great, esp the Biscuit - v biscuity!!

Hopefully get to try it all in recipes over the next 4 weeks, & report back.

Big thanks to Manticle for organising, & Not For Horses for actually making real, aussie malts!

Back