Malts I'm Producing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not For Horses

Reaction score
This is a bit of a list of the stuff I've been working on.
I know people want pics and stuff but I'll get to that. Promise!

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grain Description Colour[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Wheat Malt Malted Tasmanian Wheat 2L [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Pale Ale Malted Tasmanian Barley 4L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]CrackerJack Biscuit Malt 10L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Mission Brown The new Brown in town 65L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Crystal25 What it says on the tin 25L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Crystal60 Copy that 60L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Crystal80 Are we still doing this? 80L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Milk Chocolate Smooth. Roasty. Delicious 300L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Dark Chocolate We’re talking 80% cocoa 400L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ace of Spades Black Malt 550L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Red Bellied Black Light Roasted Barley 350L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ace of Clubs Dark Roasted Barley 550L[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Wheat grits Needs cereal mash 1L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Barley grits 1L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Maize grits 1L[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Coming soon (kinda)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]LSD Acidulated malt 2L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Wie Münich Munich I 10L [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Wie Münich 2 – This time it’s personal. Munich II 15L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Catcher in the Rye Malted Rye 4L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Wild Oats XI Malted Oats 4L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Smoke Trails Smoked Malted Barley 4L[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Short Black Medium Roasted malt 150L[/SIZE]

Definitely working towards making them available to the homebrew market.
Only problem for me at the moment is producing large quantities of base malts. But I'm working on that too.

Do you currently ship spec malt interstate? Would be interested in checking a few out.

Sounds awesome. Its something I have thought about as a barley grower, but where I am all sales would have postage and by the time you sell a few kgs and add postage I figured it wouldn't be worth it.
How are you doing this? Floor malting? Or more sophisticated? How are you Kilning?
Are you involved with the distilling industry down there? I know the brother of Larks distillery who said they are planning a paddock to bottle set up which involves malting their own grain.
I love it more info please.

Setup at present is actually pretty simple because I've only been doing them for myself and a few others.
Steep tank, malting tank, floor dried and oven kilned. Like I said, pretty simple.
Funny you should mention distilleries mash head, whiskey is the main reason I started malting but I got sidetracked by beer.

MMMM tasty tasty beer.......................

But I digress.
I've been getting the processes, temperature profiles etc sorted so I can then upscale and produce larger amounts.

I'd be more than happy to post interstate if you're interested. Let me know what you want and I'll get it done.

I'd be interested in trying your biscuit, all crystals and all chocolates.

I'd order a kg of each, posted to Vic. PM details or include here.

Cheers

Just out of interest, how much do most people pay for spec malts?
I haven't actually sold any malt for real money as yet. It's always been in exchange for beer!
MMMM beer.......

I was thinking $5/kg on most small orders purely based on grain and grape ish prices.
That's not too steep is it??

I'm always up for trying locally produced stuff - I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Be interested to know how you kiln it....what do you use and how

Right now I'm kilning in a fan forced oven that I vent to a set opening size and monitor the temperature independently.
I'm currently building a new much bigger dedicated kiln but I'm kinda limited by time and space. Just like Einstein.
Also looking into buying/building a large drum roaster.

$5/kg for specialty malts is pretty good. Particularly hand crafted stuff where you can talk to the maltster...

Colour me interested.

I'm in. I'll buy to try. Nice to see someone in Oz shooting for handmade commercial malts. I've seen a couple do it but the time is nigh that someone like yourself could get it right and kick into high gear. Hope it all goes well. Love to try your product.

And yes, $5 kilo is reasonable for specialty malts.

Wow I didn't realise there would be so much interest in this.
I'm gonna busy in the coming weeks!
I should also mention that I have a grain mill so they'd be available whole or milled.

Yeah definitely give feedback. Public is good cause everyone knows what's going on. pm might be better for orders cause I can more easily keep track of them.

Back