Malts I'm Producing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I'll pm when I get paid next week and offer feedback/comparison on both raw grain and perceived brewing results using tried and true recipes that use same specs, different brands.

For me it will be simpsons crystal and choc and dingemans biscuit as reference points.

I am all for ordering some when we get the hop order through, full feedback of course.

Also, if I move to tassie I expect you folk to become my brewclub mates. Even if it is Hobart!

Just a heads up - you will probably need to get approval as a retailer on this site. I believe it's very easy to do but i'm not sure of the process. PM an active mod or admin and they should set you right.

AndrewQLD or Bradsbrew would be my first port of call.

Yeah ok. Cheers for that. Bradsbrew actually already messaged me with an order!

i may have to try some of this new malted grain,the comparisons would be interesting.
and coming from tassie,got to get back there some day soon,love that place.all the best with your venture. ...cheers...spog....

$5 per kg is ok and then you are prepared to pay postage on top?? **** me I should have done a fesabillity study years ago.
While I am on an Island and get screwed for freight do you know what the average price I have received for malt spec barley from the buyers in the past is?? Well of course you wouldn't but if I had cleared $200 per ton over the few years I did grow it I would be happy. 20 cents per kg.
Good luck to you horse man, one day I wish to malt some of my own grain but havnt grown any for the last couple of years as it hasn't been profitable, sheep still taste good though.
Good luck with it.

Hey mate. I live on a farm and have hundreds of tonnes of barley knocking around. I'd love to see your setup so I can copy it! haha!

Good luck with the enterprise mate. Look forward to hearing more. Could turn into something bigger than you imagined.

I think your biggest problem (provided your quality is there) will be the postage costs, interstate postage is the killer and really why I never went further with the idea.

I feel I may have underestimated the amount of interest that talk of malting would generate!
I'm really excited about the prospect of kicking this into a higher gear but I need to make sure that I can achieve the consistency of quality that will be expected by you guys. This will take time.
I look forward to working with everyone to create new and interesting products.

The tassie brewers are pretty happy about this enterprise. Its one time when we wont be screwed by postage. You mainland brewers who are close to brew shops dont know how lucky you are. I will certainly be ordering some grain to try
Cheers
LB

Looks like you will need to be up scaling more than you thought. Like Lagerbomb said us mainland brewers don't know how lucky we are so I think it is absolutely awesome that you are starting up in an area that so desperately needs it. You wiill not only be a welcome addition to current Tassie brewers but will also be greatly boasting Tassie's home brewing scene. Great also to see our Victorian expertise (ie Manticle etc.) committing themselves to some series quality testing and you will be getting some good honest feedback to support your new business. Anyway probable waffled enough. I really hope your new venture goes well and wish you all the best of luck.

Any Melbourne blokes want to combine postage? Pick up from fairfield or a Melbourne Brewers meeting.

I guess we make the parcel as big as it needs to be (within reason)? I'm looking at 1 kg of biscuit, 1 of each crystal (3 types) and 1 of each choc (2 types) so six kg all up so far.

Do you have any interest in generating any of the following bits of data for brewers?

Moisture
Friability
wort colour
pH
Kolbach
Diastatic power

Obviously some of these are easier to measure than others, but if you're serious in showing you're good at turning green barley into malt which gives good extract in 60 minutes, then releasing your malt against a specification would allow you to charge $5/kg easily.

manticle said:
Any Melbourne blokes want to combine postage? Pick up from fairfield or a Melbourne Brewers meeting.
I'll be in that, 1kg of each. Don't get up your way often but I'm sure we can work something out.

Back