Maltodextrin substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester 1

Reaction score
I'm about to try a new k&k recipe that calls for 200gm of maltodextrin. I've been warned off using maltodextrin due to odd chemical flavours so is there a good substitute? Steeped Cara Pils has been suggested. Does anyone agree & if so, how much should I add to 23 liters?

Hi Chester, what sort of beer are you making?
Carapils could work for a lighter style, or you could add some light crystal for a little more flavour.

Sounds like someone had a bad ferment and decided to blame the maltodextrin.

Best to give it a go and make your own assessment.

Sounds like someone had a bad ferment and decided to blame the maltodextrin.

Best to give it a go and make your own assessment.
You're probably right. I haven't used maltodextrin but will give it a go if necessary.

I'm about to try a new k&k recipe that calls for 200gm of maltodextrin. I've been warned off using maltodextrin due to odd chemical flavours so is there a good substitute? Steeped Cara Pils has been suggested. Does anyone agree & if so, how much should I add to 23 liters?
Maltodextrin is a mainly unfermentable sugar. It is used in some K&K additives such as "Beer Enhancer". It is used to add extra body to the beer. Try it out.

Either the maltidextrin or a steep of 300g carapils will give you some added body. The carapils might add a trace of bready flavour too. Neither will add chemical flavours.

You could also try lactose, if interested in a sweet style stout

Latest posts

Back