Maltmill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
g'day brewers,

as the title says, anyone own or seen one of these in action ?

MaltMill

cheers

Dave

I've got on of these, bought it with the base,hopper and crank handle 4 years ago.

Very, very happy with it. I can easily hand crank 5 kilos of grain in 5-10 minutes.

The base board is very solid and has 3 rubber feet which hold it very stable over a 20 litre bucket to catch the grain. The fit snugly on the inside of the bucket I use.

Down side, the hopper is very small. I screwed a piece of Masonite onto the top of it with a hole cut in the middle so I can fit a modified water cooler bottle into it to use as my main hopper.

Very happy with my purchase and would recommend it for other brewers.

No affiliation...

The LHBS uses that to crack their grain. They didn't have a MillMaster back in the day when they bought it but its still running the shop just fine. If it ever wears out, they may look at other mills but it that mill does the job.

They modified the hopper to be an upside down water cooler bottle with the bottom cut out.

I've got on of these, bought it with the base,hopper and crank handle 4 years ago.

Very, very happy with it. I can easily hand crank 5 kilos of grain in 5-10 minutes.

The base board is very solid and has 3 rubber feet which hold it very stable over a 20 litre bucket to catch the grain. The fit snugly on the inside of the bucket I use.

Down side, the hopper is very small. I screwed a piece of Masonite onto the top of it with a hole cut in the middle so I can fit a modified water cooler bottle into it to use as my main hopper.

Very happy with my purchase and would recommend it for other brewers.

No affiliation...

thanks hashie, i like the look of this mill, seems well built.
how was the service/delivery time etc

The LHBS uses that to crack their grain. They didn't have a MillMaster back in the day when they bought it but its still running the shop just fine. If it ever wears out, they may look at other mills but it that mill does the job.

They modified the hopper to be an upside down water cooler bottle with the bottom cut out.

g'day BP, i assume it's motorised, any idea whats powering it ?

cheers

Dave

thanks hashie, i like the look of this mill, seems well built.
how was the service/delivery time etc

cheers

Dave

From memory the delivery was very quick for a parcel from the states, I'm thinking inside of 3 weeks. I know it wasn't the 3 or 4 months I waited for kegs from the states. As for the service, I have never needed to be in touch with them as the mill has always worked well with no problems what so ever. The only time I have struggled with it was when I tried conditioning the grain before milling. This made it near impossible to crank by hand and clogged the rollers. Normal milling of grain is a piece of piss.

From memory the delivery was very quick for a parcel from the states, I'm thinking inside of 3 weeks. I know it wasn't the 3 or 4 months I waited for kegs from the states. As for the service, I have never needed to be in touch with them as the mill has always worked well with no problems what so ever. The only time I have struggled with it was when I tried conditioning the grain before milling. This made it near impossible to crank by hand and clogged the rollers. Normal milling of grain is a piece of piss.

Did you get pre-adjusted or adjustable? If the former, how does it go crushing things like wheat malt?

Looks like a possible future option for me - I use a corona and each brew takes around half an hour to prepare. No complaints and it's good exercise for one arm and shoulder but ocassionally I start later in the day than I'd like due to procrastination.

thanks for the feedback, just been reading about conditioning, did you steam or wet it down ?

apparently time is of the essence as the moisture seeps in quite quickly.

cheers

Dave

Manticle, I bought the pre-set model. It crushes very well. I do Biab so double crush has given me a couple of points of efficiency gain, while a single crush works very well if your not fussed over 2-3% points. Crushing wheat malt, or any malt, is no problem.

Yardy, I conditioned by adding water, the crush came out different to a dry crush, but as said, was very hard to mill. Again, using Biab it's no real gain for me to condition.

g'day BP, i assume it's motorised, any idea whats powering it ?

cheers

Dave

Washing Machine AC Motor wired up into a harness on an old table. Two pulleys and a belt.

Cheers,
BP

Washing Machine AC Motor wired up into a harness on an old table. Two pulleys and a belt.

Cheers,
BP

cheers BP, they've got a bit of info about motorizing the mill on the site, just waiting on a price now for the barebones unit

Dave

Back