Malting

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jovial_Monk

Hmmmmmmm, just took delivery of 20Kg free unmalted Sloop barley from a regular customer.

Gonna have some fun with that next year!

Will visit Ninkasi--making some of that Eqyptian beer Steve was burbling on about last week. Got enough to try some variations: sprout and rub the grain, then bake into loaves in low oven (grain mashes inside the loaves) Gonna repeat but cut one loaf up into slices than bake those slices in a slightly hotter oven. This way the Eqyptians got some colored "malt" and I believe these twice baked biscuits were fairly hard and stored well.

Got some research to do and document: will set up an area on my website where my malting adventures will be documented. Look for www.jovialmonk.com.au/ninkasi in 3-4 months time.

Will also do some conventional malting: by Fall 2006 I can brew a beer where I have malted the grain myself and grown the hops myself.

2005 will be wild!

Jovial Monk

Sounds big JM sounds real big. 2005 I will be happy just pushing out a few AG's.

Back