Malting Grains At Home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
I may be scoring something of a cool Xmas gift from a generous uncle who runs a Barley and Wheat farm the size of Texas over in the Wimmera!

Grain! Yep, kilos of Barley and Wheat left over from the recent harvest, which he added, were the best in years! B)

So, what do I do with sacks of UNMALTED Barley and Wheat?

Anybody have a good technique for malting grains at home? :huh:

Cheers,

TL

Some grateful customer is giving me 20k brewing grade barley next year.

malting is basically steeping the grain till the roots shoot, then turn and turn the grain untill it is modified to the degree wanted, ensuring none of the grain dries out or gets to hot

I suggest you get a book. "Homebrewers Garden" by J&D Fisher, Storey Books, US
or Clive laPensee "House Brewers Companion" CAMRA books

Also the grain needs to be kept cool during malting, so do it in a fridge or wait till winter

As well as malting, you could also just sprout it, then bake into a loaf in a low oven and make beer out of this bread, a la Sumeria and Ancient Egypt

Unless your barley is brewing grade it will be very high in protein, use protein rests 7 decoctions

Jovial Monk

I have an old pie warmer , that would do the trick

JM & Batz,

Thanks for the info guys - this malting caper is a bit more complex than I thought! It's a far cry from growing wheat on wet cotton wool!

There are a couple of websites that cover the topic, but there are also lots of referrals to the book "Homebrewers Garden" that you pointed out JM, so perhaps I may have to hit up Santa for a late entry in the pressie stakes! :p

Cheers,

TL

Sounds too much hassle for what it's worth to me , bulk grain is fairly priced and you know what your getting.
I am busy enough fitting in brewing without starting my ownn malting.
Cheers if you have the time to go for it
Good luck Batz

Yeah, it is a hassle if you want to do this all the time, but, this is probably gonna be a one-off pressie from the uncle and I just can't say no to some grain...

I gotta at least have a go with it and see if I can make at least a little bit of malt..

Cheers,

TL

Back