Quantcast

Malted Grains And Temperature Fermentation

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Brenn Gunn

Reaction score
Hi all, I began all grain brewing last Christmas, and have found 1 major problem and 1 minor problem that I think that I need to solve.

The minor problem is that I am confused by the amount of malted grains from various malteries from around the world.(particularly the specialty grains) I would like to know if anyone knows of a book which, details the products of the worlds major malsters and suggest the best possible substitutes for their competitors product with their own.

The major broblem that I have encounted is that of excessive brewing temperatures during this past summer. (a few brews were fermented at high 20's to 30+ c and were frown out because of an excessively 'clove' like flavor. I would like to build a 'Coolroom' under my house and would like to know if anyone knows of a place to buy cheap coldroom panels in the Ipswich/Brisbane area, or advise me of other materials that I could use to build this room. I already know about the refrigerators/freezer conversions but would prefer to build a room as i could also lager my kegs there.

Any constuctive advice is appreciated. thanks.

Brenn

Wolfy

Reaction score
I'm not sure a large coolroom is as useful for a home-brewer (who makes, serves and produces multiple different kinds of beer) because you generally want to use a range of temperatures for a range of purposes (unlike a commercial brewery who would concentrate only on a limited number of products requiring the same conditions).

As examples - for a home brewer, you might want to have beer at each of these temperatures at the same time:
10C fermenting lagers
20C fermenting ales
0C lagering/cold conditioning
6C serving temps

So while you could have a large room, having multiple smaller fridges/freezers each independently controlled - would iMHO be a better option for most home-brewers. That way you can have your kegged/bottled beer at serving temps, have other beer lagering/cold conditioning while you are brewing an ale and/or lager at the same time. Depending on how much you brew, a single serving fridge and another fermeting fridge might be enough. A single temperature large coolroom would not allow that flexibility.

Rob S

Reaction score
I got three cheap fridges off eBay and giveaways got 3 x STC1000 all up cost under $150 Set up as fermenting fridge, lagering fridge & serving fridge.

Great too if i want to ferment a Lager and an ale at the same time.

Brenn Gunn

Reaction score
Well thanks for the replys,, I have the coolroom panels (enough for 2m X 3m {not a big room, as I had always planned to build an even smaller room}). I have coolroom refrigeration compressor and evaporator ect.. the room will be kept at 18C ,, I am building a 'hutch' which will have enough room for 2 fermenters and uses an external danfoss compressor and evaporator to keep it at a 10C temp. The whole idea was that it had to be cheaper than running multi refrigerators (power wise) and I have room for my 16 kegs to keep at 18c... It gets to 36c+ here and although the kegs are not 0c lagering,, it has to be better than letting them sit at that temperature.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
Search grain comparison chart. Should give u a good start

Wolfy

Reaction score
I can't imagine that 2 or 3 standard refrigerators run intermittently (fermenting and beer serving temperature is much higher than fridges usually run) and only while fermenting/storing beer, will be cheaper than 2x industrial compressors running all the time, cooling a large (in comparison to a fridge) volume of space.

Brenn Gunn

Reaction score
the main compressor keeps a 18c environment... the second compressor only cools an environment from 18c to 10c,, it is only a "display case" compressor.. it also only has to cool a variable of 8c a refrigerator is cooling a variable of upto 15c+ the kegs will be kept at 18c and not 36c+ during summer.. or is it better i leave them at 36?

Latest posts