Malt Shovel Oatmeal Stout......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
A quick note for anyone intrested to know whether the malt shovel oatmeal stout is worth the price....after 3 weeks in the bottle i must say that it is probably the best kit stout i have had to date....very smooth all round....definate roasty caramel flavour upfront with a moderate level of bitterness....will definatey improve with age me thinks....i will be brewing this again :D

Lastnight i cracked open a 3 week old bottle of MSB Deep Roast Ale and i have to say i LOVED it also!! Will brew this again immediately once my ESB Nut Brown finishes. Whats the verdict on the other brews in the MSB range????

It has an odd smell to it (still fermenting). Smells earthy and abit like pine?? What hops would account for that?
but it tastes quite nice so far....

What else did you make the MALT SHOVEL OATMEAL STOUT up with GI?

Nothing else...just one can in 11.5 ltrs with the yeast provided....

Booby..that smell u mention would probably have more to do with the yeast.....

The ESB nut brown is good. I made it up with 250g of crystal malt. Really easy and very tasty kit brew.

i've tried the oatmeal, very nice stout and i thought the dark ale tasted a bit like JS Porter.

i've tried the wheat kit, but not sure about that one, nice malty taste. might have to keep brewing it to see if i like it :)

Are they still charging an arm and a leg for the kit can???( compared to other brands)

Yeah about $26, but it's the whole kit - don't need to add anything else.

$26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a 1.7kg can?!?!?

keep buying it at that price and next thing you know you're paying that for Morgans, Coopers, etc. Next it will be $26 for Bi-lo,No frills,Home brand!!!!!

Consumers drive the price. you pay it .they'll charge it!!

$26 sounds like the price for 2 cans

I don't expect the MS to be produced much longer.

Everyone loves the beers they make, heard no grumbles, but many grumbles about the price.

I am trying to get rid of mine, $24.95 for 2 cans (any 2 MS cans)

Jovial Monk

I love MS Kits I once made a mean Rochefort Clone using one can of MS Nut brown one can of Deep Roast, wyeast 1762, Hallertau for aroma. I kid you not it was very close. :p

I was talking about the ESB kits $26 for 3kg. It's the whole wort concntrated into a big tin.

In the middle of drinking a batch of the Bavarian Lager from an ESB 3kg can. Quite nice when made with WLP920 Old bavarian lager and nothing else.

This is encouraging news. I have tried the MSB Pale Ale (absolutely splendid, expecting it to get even better with age) and the Two-Row Lager (bottled on Anzac Day, so very young, but showing great promise of real flavour).
Just bottled a half brew (one can) of the Dark Roast Ale and have a Nut Brown waiting to go into the fermenter.
To lcear up misunderstandings about price, here in Perth it's $18.50 a can, which makes 11.5 litres. Even if you make a 23-litre batch, that's still only $1.23 for a king brown of really good ale becos you don't have to add anything to the can (well, maybe a bit of wheat malt for the head).

has any one brewed the msb summer wheat? is it anything like the colonial wheat??
if not does any one have an extract recipe for this?

In the local homebrew comp here last year... a malt shovel deep roast ale kit beer scored 19 out of 20 and won first place...after finding this out i put down a 23 L batch pronto....

How did that one turn out GI?

Back