Malt Shovel - Mad Brewers Rarsberry Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_fuzz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

The old man dropped a couple of these off at my house last night and so they went straight into the freezer and then the glass.

Well, Im very disapointed, very tart and tastes just like watered down Ribina, for something that is a limited edition, very disapointed

I cannot taste any malt or hop at all, just Ribina flavour?

It is supposed to be brewed with Rarsberry's and Peppermint, but hey, I can't taste it

The colour and the Aroma are 10/10, but the taste is a big let down - it has a really nice red hue, but the other thing - it is CRYSTAL CLEAR, and i mean CRYSTAL - I would have thought for a Rarsberry wheat they would have gone the cloudy look, but alas no.......

Anyone else pre-order some of this and have an opinion?

I found some of this on holidays last week and had a try.

Certainly wasn't the worst beer I've tried, but was nothing like what I'd expected.

Found the flavour interesting, I got a minty aftertaste which was different and quite refreshing. I was surprised this has been released just in time for winter, this might be a better summer beer.

I was also surprised that there was so little wheat flavour, it was dominated by the tart berry flavour, a little sickly.
More wheat and a more subtle raspberry flavour would have been my pick. And unfiltered please.

Interesting, but one will do me.

Kev

I had some at the squire brew house... wasn't for me

Yeah, I ordered a case online, not impressed, a bit syrupy, not at all wheaty. Refreshing, but lolly-like. The missus seems to like it though...

I expected it to be quite sweet, but was pleasantly surprised by the tartness. SWMBO loved it.

Never expect cloudy beer from MSB as they pride themselves on clear beer.

I was disappointed as well. It needs a bit more Raspberry. It tasted like the Brewferm Framboos kit.

I tried it a few weeks ago, and was quite disappointed. I really dont think the mint goes well in it at all (my opinion only), and it came off as if they had poured too much raspberry cordial syrup into a very weakly flavoured base beer, as in it tasted very artificial.
Maybe Squires would be well served to send some of their brewers over to Canada in June or July to try the plethora of raspberry wheat beers they have available as seasonals in BC (especially on Vancouver Island). There are some artificial tasting ones, but the majority used real raspberries, which I know are prohibitively expensive here, and they are exceptionally well balanced.
While I would never discourage someone from buying it, after trying so many different ones in canada in years past, the squires version was a very big let down to me.
All the best
Trent

Bought a bottle of this today and should be pouring a glass of it very soon...looking forward to tasting it.

Will add my comments on it once sampled.

Hmmm...well that was somewhat underwhelming.

I found (am still finding) it sickly sweet like they added raspberry cordial.

I was planning to brew a raspberry wheat next weekend but if it turns out like this I think I would struggle to get through the keg.

Glad i only bought the one bottle and not the two I was planning on.

Hmmm...well that was somewhat underwhelming.

I found (am still finding) it sickly sweet like they added raspberry cordial.

I was planning to brew a raspberry wheat next weekend but if it turns out like this I think I would struggle to get through the keg.

Glad i only bought the one bottle and not the two I was planning on.

It shouldn't.
I haven't tasted this one but a properly made rasberry wheat is very nice.

I made a mixed berry wheat last year and it was delicious...
See here for the recipe...

Latest posts

Back