Malt Shovel Kits

• Thread starter phantom
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

phantom

Any body used em?

Which ones,any good,worth the price for 11.5 litres of beer? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I'm reserving my judgement a the moment . Have a two-row lager and a summer wheat beer in the bottle now - about three-four weeks. The lager has a very strong "cloying" effect on the back palate, but has diminished since first tatsted - hoping further bottle maturation will dry this beer out.

On the other hand, after a week in the bottle, a Cooper's Canadian blonde is going very nicely!!

It involved 1.5 cans canadian blonde
0.5kg coopers enhancer #2
7 days at around 22c
Rack to second fermenter
Hallertau plug
6 (or7) days
bottled!

Surprisingly good!!!

PB

used a few just before going all grain 18 months ago. good quality kits but then again you pay a bit for more for them cf coopers range. in my opinion not worth the extra, better off spending more on hops, LME etc to enhance a standard kit

roach said:
used a few just before going all grain 18 months ago. good quality kits but then again you pay a bit for more for them cf coopers range. in my opinion not worth the extra, better off spending more on hops, LME etc to enhance a standard kit
Yeah I,m a mostly extract from scratch brewer,Just curious(lazy) about whether to try or not.Considering i can knock up a 22 litre batch ,Extract ,hops etc for under 30 bucks and tailor it to my own taste,the M.S kits don,t sound that enticing. :blink:

they'd have to be mighty cheap...
my lhbs has bought some of these kits cheap(er) recently. Still in date, but may have been a backlog of surplus stock.

Anyway, I figured that I just made a batch (23 litres) of hefeweizen (beer of royalty) for about $12. 2.5 kg of DME/Wheat DME + hops (free from lhbs - I have mentioned before that I get "looked after" on hops) + W3068 yeast (reculture from a smack pack that was gifted to me). This is a "sorry that you're moving house and have nowhere to brew for a while" sympathy batch for a friend. We had a brew at the other guy's house day on Wednesday just gone.

Oops, 10 metre penalty for heading off-topic.

mahogany porter is a cascade kit not a malt shovel kit.

Damn..your right.....Have not had any beer today so the brain aint working... :unsure:

does the malt shovel "one can" method work for other kit beers?

...apart from the obvious, what is different about doing another brand with only 11.5 litres of water ...and pitch yeast? :blink:

I have made their Wheat Beer when I was doing kits. Not really to my taste but not actually bad either. I did two cans in 23l. Bit expensive but convenient if that is what you are afer.

jimmysuperlative said:
does the malt shovel "one can" method work for other kit beers?

...apart from the obvious, what is different about doing another brand with only 11.5 litres of water ...and pitch yeast? :blink:
[post="60015"][/post]​

Standard kits will have a much higher level of bitterness if made to 11.5L as they are meant to be diluted to 23L. Conversely if you made a malt shovel kit to 23L by adding a kilo of unhopped fermentables it would be seriously lacking in bitterness.

I think I will test your theory, Spun ...going to get myself a can 'o' coles draught, make it to 11.5L ...and suffer the consequences I suspect?!!? :unsure:

phantom said:
Any body used em?

Which ones,any good,worth the price for 11.5 litres of beer?

I tried the Malt Shovel 2 row lager just before I started mini-mashing. Got two cans for $29 on special. I am drinking it now (4 months old) & must say that it certainly is nice & malty with a nice hop finish although with a perhaps a little too much crystal in it for my taste. Was just curious about it so I tried one out. Don't think it's worth the extra money though. :D :D

I brewed the the Summer Wheat beer. I wanted to brew a Redback clone so the guy at the HBS recommended Malt Shovel Summer Wheat, so I bought it and he gave me a dextrose and malt mix to add to it as well. When I got home I read the label of the can which says to add nothing except the yeast and make up to 11.5L. So being new to homebrewing I made the brew up to 11.5L and added the extras he gave me. Well after about 5 days in the fermenter it seemed nothing was happening. I went back to the HBS and asked what was going on, after I told him what I had done he informed me that I should of made it up to the standard 23L amount (because of the extras he gave me), so I went home and filled the fermenter up to 23L and let it sit for another 3 days and then I bottled it. Tasted one after 7 days in the bottle and it was bloody beautiful, very close to a Redback. I just have to do a side by side taste test with the commercial brew to confirm this though. But from what I can remember of Redback (I had a 6 pack about 3 weeks before tasting my homebrew) it was very close. Anyway I can recommend this brew very highly and if done as I did you get the full 23L amount. I couldn't see the point of going to all the trouble of making homebrew and only getting half the amount anyway.

Back