Malt pipe ideas.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattrox

Reaction score
I'm planning a 1v system based on a 40L urn.

I planned to use 19L Woolies pot as a malt pipe. I want to cut out the bottom and use a false bottom. Pump back to the top type recirculation.

I had thought about putting in an overflow pipe. I could do this incorporating another false bottom/splatter guard type arrangement on the top.

Or

What about putting a 12" bazooka screen through the hole in the false bottom with no top screen?

Thoughts?

A number of 2.5mm holes ~6mm from the top. I havent done it yet but am gonna try it on my bigw pot that is the malt basket in my single.

I was even thinking a 6" pipe as a riser and a 6" bazooka screen. Encourage water to move through the grain bed to the bottom a bit more.

Mattrox said:

I planned to use 19L Woolies pot as a malt pipe. I want to cut out the bottom and use a false bottom. Pump back to the top type recirculation.

I had thought about putting in an overflow pipe. I could do this incorporating another false bottom/splatter guard type arrangement on the top.

Or

What about putting a 12" bazooka screen through the hole in the false bottom with no top screen?

Thoughts?
instead of an overflow pipe what I have found to work well for me is drill 2 half inch holes at the very to of the basket for overflow and use a biab grain bag.
I guess its similar to what eagleburger said above but his way if you have too much flow from the pump you could end up with an overflow of grain into your urn. If you use the bag there is no chance of grain getting into the boil. downside you have to hose out a bag :icon_cheers:

I've done one with an adjustable overflow pipe and a bazooka screen in lieu of a top plate.
It is the "great malt mother" as its Grainfather inspired but good for 50-70 litre batches.
Boiler is a cheap 82 litre and malt pipe is a 56 litre both off eBay. I reused an old domed false bottom and dropped some extra holes under it to help flow.
Pix at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/album/1339-enochs-great-malt-mother/

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

enoch said:
I've done one with an adjustable overflow pipe and a bazooka screen in lieu of a top plate.
It is the "great malt mother" as its Grainfather inspired but good for 50-70 litre batches.
Boiler is a cheap 82 litre and malt pipe is a 56 litre both off eBay. I reused an old domed false bottom and dropped some extra holes under it to help flow.
Pix at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/album/1339-enochs-great-malt-mother/
That's exactly the info I'm after.

Cheers for the input.

Mattrox said:
That's exactly the info I'm after.
Cheers for the input.
I'll try to get an exploded view of the adjustable bit.
Started with 3/4 and 1/2 inch pipe and a number of compression fittings and ended up a lot simpler!
The 3/4 was substituted with 1/2 threaded tube, one 1/2 compression fitting and a 13 mm drill bit to drill through the compression fitting so the 1/2 pipe would slide though.

Now...

Will a cheap nibbler remove the bottom of a Big W pot?

Malty Cultural said:
I made a top screen as per your original plan: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/83760-adding-recirculation-my-easy-urn-upgrade/

But now that I've seen it, I like enoch's bazooka-on-the-overflow idea better. I already use threaded fittings for my overflow pipe, so the bazooka would fit right in and not require any fabrication.
I had not seen enoch's system before. I'll take it as proof of concept.

I'm not opposed to constructing solutions within my skill set. With the "ease of use" on brew day being a priority. This bazooka overflow method seems like it will make things less fiddly during mash-in and clean up.

On a side note..... If I want to increase the capacity of the malt pipe, what is the best way to make a straight cut in a Big W pot so 2 can be nested and silver soldered in place?

Mattrox said:

Where are you getting the false bottom from for the big w pot (I assume when you say woolies, you mean bigw or they are the same)

I'd like to do the same thing for my crown urn, just wasn't sure what would be the best false bottom with correct perforation size to prevent grain slipping though.

Thanks

sluggerdog said:
Where are you getting the false bottom from for the big w pot (I assume when you say woolies, you mean bigw or they are the same)

I'd like to do the same thing for my crown urn, just wasn't sure what would be the best false bottom with correct perforation size to prevent grain slipping though.

Thanks
I was going to order one from Aliexpress or EBay. I was thinking of cutting the bottom out of the pot leaving a lip to bolt a 10inch false bottom on upside down.

That should leave me enough space to place stainless bolts as legs.

Fittings arrived.

Need; LBP, misc stainless bolts, big W pot, flase bottom, and crown urn.

Oh, and your are all liars. A 3 piece ball valve is actually 17 pieces. ;-) lol

image.jpg

Instead of a false bottom I have been wondering if something like this could be fitted to the bottom of the big w instead? Maybe by cutting out 4 triangles of the bottom, leaving a cross for support

Woven Wire, 40 Mesh, 30cm X 30cm X0.4mm
$_12.JPG

ebay link about $24 delivered so the price seems fairly good. Not sure what the differences between this and those cheap ikea splatter screens are that others use.

maybe the 30 mesh would be better?
$_12.JPG

Mesh Count - Nominal Aperture (mm) - Wire Diameter - Open Area (%) - Weight kg/m²
30 - 0.567 - 280µm (32 SWG) - 45 - 1.17
40 - 0.411 - 224µm - (34 SWG) - 42 - 1.00

Mattrox said:
Or
Thoughts?
No need for a boozooka or anything else,I have used a Big W pot and false bottom without overflow pipe or anything else.What I did was to make a return pipe with a T piece and a flow control tap. The return pipe fits between the outer pot and the inner malt pipe,regulate the flow going into the malt pipe by the flow control tap,as the mash proceeds you will be able to put full volume into the malt pipe. The malt pipe only needs a series of 12 mm diameter holes drilled in the bottom...see attached picture.
A standard 12 inch false bottom which I used had to be reduced slightly with an angle grinder to remove about 2mm from the diameter...perfect !
I will attempt to post a short video of the whole thing in action...if I can.2014-01-29 10.38.16.jpg2013-10-15 14.26.20.jpg2013-10-16 13.51.07.jpg

nala said:
No need for a boozooka or anything else,I have used a Big W pot and false bottom without overflow pipe or anything else.What I did was to make a return pipe with a T piece and a flow control tap. The return pipe fits between the outer pot and the inner malt pipe,regulate the flow going into the malt pipe by the flow control tap,as the mash proceeds you will be able to put full volume into the malt pipe. The malt pipe only needs a series of 12 mm diameter holes drilled in the bottom...see attached picture.
A standard 12 inch false bottom which I used had to be reduced slightly with an angle grinder to remove about 2mm from the diameter...perfect !
I will attempt to post a short video of the whole thing in action...if I can.
attachicon.gif
2014-01-29 10.38.16.jpg
attachicon.gif
2013-10-15 14.26.20.jpg
attachicon.gif
2013-10-16 13.51.07.jpg
What does the bottom of your bigw pot look like? And are those holes within the false bottom enough to keep the grain out?

Thanks

The holes in the false bottom are standard size.

sluggerdog said:
Instead of a false bottom I have been wondering if something like this could be fitted to the bottom of the big w instead? Maybe by cutting out 4 triangles of the bottom, leaving a cross for support

Woven Wire, 40 Mesh, 30cm X 30cm X0.4mm
$_12.JPG

ebay link about $24 delivered so the price seems fairly good. Not sure what the differences between this and those cheap ikea splatter screens are that others use.

maybe the 30 mesh would be better?
$_12.JPG

Mesh Count - Nominal Aperture (mm) - Wire Diameter - Open Area (%) - Weight kg/m²
30 - 0.567 - 280µm (32 SWG) - 45 - 1.17
40 - 0.411 - 224µm - (34 SWG) - 42 - 1.00
On my previous system I did what you are talking about but I used an ikea splatter guard for the mesh because they are only a couple of dollars
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/68324-QldKev%27s-New-Biab-With-Internal-Rims/page__view__findpost__p__1289831

Back