Malt Muncher Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Is anybody using the Malt Muncher Grain mill (for sale on ebay) I have seen it on Ali express for $100 Inc shipping? It is much cheaper than Barley Crusher ($270 without hopper). Was wondering if it is worth the extra expense. http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1445920793.html '> http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1445920793.html

Quite a few people on here are using it. It is a "cheaper" mill. It's normally imported by Keg King. Several people have mentioned that the oil impregnated brass bushings (good for a mill) are actually cheap bearings (not so good) and some have failed after time. From what I've read over the time, I would stick with the MonsterMill (that I have) or upgrade even further to the Mash Master. The Monster Mill works out cheaper if you get 2 posted at a time, so find a brew buddy to share postage.

Thanks QldKev, I looked on their website and there are 3 models with 3/8" and 1/2" shafts. Any tips for choosing the right one?

I have a mashmaster minimill and couldn't be happier.
All stainless and aluminium construction pretty much negates any surface rust.
Easily adjustable - I tweaked mine by feel (on the fly) last brewday.
Geared rollers ensure continuous grain feed.
Very solid frame so no warping of gap.
Main downside is if you want a decent hopper you'll have to build one.

A few years ago I weighed up all the options and while I could've imported a MonsterMill for a bit less, the MM minimill was not much more but had a much sturdier frame and SS as standard.
The maltmuncher looks like a decent buy and fills a much needed void but I reckon my minimill will see me out without fail.

And it lookth like another one of those days were every mill hath an MM in ith ******* name.

Thanks Cam, Can you send me a few photos of your hopper?

James said:
Thanks QldKev, I looked on their website and there are 3 models with 3/8" and 1/2" shafts. Any tips for choosing the right one?
I just went the standard MM2, no upgrades at all. Looking at the site its $US137 per mill and $US45 for post for 1 or 2 mills. The price has gone up a bit from when I got mine, that price is getting closer to the mashmaster / mill master local one. The mashmaster has the upgraded 1/2 shaft and stainless rollers.

The 1/2 shaft is probably better if you plan on using a 240v motor with pulleys.
The stainless rollers wont rust etc. But I live 2 secs from the beach (close enough to hear it and get plenty of salt build up on the windows) and my standard mm2 rollers are not rusting. Pitty about my 2yr old bird aviary etc. I just leave the flour on the rollers after milling to protect them.

I know the theory of the 3 roller mill seems great, but I have never used one.

Overall I'm happy with my MM2, but with the price difference for a mashmaster I think I would most likely pay the extra and get a piece of gear that should outlast my brewing career. Also they seem to fetch a great price if you ever decided to sell it.

James said:

That's the one

jbaker9 said:
Thanks Cam, Can you send me a few photos of your hopper?
There's a few pics of my hopper in my gallery. Easily holds 10kgs of grain. Not pretty but works a treat.

I've got one of these mills from a bulk buy done on here
Mine came with crappy bearings,but others from the same buy got bushings, I guess it was the luck of the draw
I left the mill in my dank dark shed and the bearings on the passive roller started to seize,so i moved it inside and cleaned the bearings,no troubles since
I know a few guys who've bought this mill in the last year or so and it's come with bushings
I'd pay the little bit extra and buy it from an Aussie seller so at least if it does come with bearings but is advertised as bushings,you can call them out on it and get it replaced

Anyone know the thread size for the mounting holes on the KK malt Muncher? Mine didn't come with mounting bolts

I got the Monster Mill 2 with SS rollers and 1/2" shaft a few years ago. Fantastic mill. After living at the coast I always go SS when I can ;)

The matching hopper and hopper extension is fantastic btw, takes a 15KG grainbill easily, and feeds every single grain without babying it.

I have the KK malt muncher and have no problems with it as a mill. The only drama I have faced is that I am pretty sure I have the 3/8" shaft and was given a motor for fathers day. I still haven't managed to get it up and running as a coupling with a 3/8" toelrance is almost impossible to find, will either have to drill one out myself or pay someone to do it for me. So if you plan on adding a motor at some stage or if there is no difference in cost, go for the 1/2".

I also have a spare 12mm to 1/2" coupling if anyone is interested.

SergeMarx said:
Anyone know the thread size for the mounting holes on the KK malt Muncher? Mine didn't come with mounting bolts
Man, I've been trying to track these down too! Been to Bunnings & bought the wrong ones & haven't been back since ...

If anyone can confirm that would be great.

... & for the record, I've been really happy with the Malt Muncher so far :)

panzerd18 said:
Bearings are better than bushings though...
Not in a dusty environment they're not
Mine has unsealed bearings which clog up very quickly
oil impregnated bushings don't have this problem

Hi guys,

Looking at getting a mill. On a budget .

For those with the malt muncher , how's it been going for last couple of years?

I will probally mill about 150 kg of grain a year,

I know the expensive ones are prob shit hot, but I'm on a budget , looking to start getting grain in bulk buys.

Cheers for feed back.

Latest posts

Back