Malt Mechanics Conical Fermenters Kickstarter - This week!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJones

Reaction score
Hi All,

for those that are not aware we manufacture the Malt Mechanics range of Conical Fermenters, a high-quality HDPE conical fermenter in both 30L and 60L volumes. You can find more info on our website http://www.maltmechanics.com/ and facebook page http://facebook.com/MaltMechanics/

We have only been available in Australia through the folks at Clever Brewing, however late last year we embarked on a redesign to incorporate sanitary fittings into the design and have decided to undertake a global launch of the new product via kickstarter. We will be launching the campaign this week and shipping direct to brewers in Australia. Thereafter we will be back in stock with our retailers and be looking to grow our retail distribution in Australia.

Please check out our website and social media, we are looking forward to bringing fantastic, full-featured, affordable home-brewing gear to the masses. If you have any questions please ask, we look forward to your support!! See the pic attached also for our two models.
MM Fermenters.jpg

Cheers, Nick

prices for the kickstarter launch with shipping to Australia?

The conicals look great and I'm sure I've seen them posted on here before.

30 litre conical fermenters that aren't too big so that 2 will fit into a fridge, is a product that is missing in the home brew market.

Just want to give you some feedback mate, I have had a look at the website and it is incredibly bare. The photos look great, but I am hesitant to invest any money when it looks like you are a basic startup. Also posting on here that there is a kickstarter campaign and to check your website/facebook for further details only to find out there are not many details is a bit of a bummer as well.

They look like good gear but would prefer details straight up if you're going to announce something.

Good luck with the campaign
Clint

looks like the kickstarter launch is later this week, I reckon we can expect more info then. These look great but probably still out of my $ range for a fermenter

Liam_snorkel said:
looks like the kickstarter launch is later this week, I reckon we can expect more info then. These look great but probably still out of my $ range for a fermenter
One of the facebook posts said $325 NZD for the 1/4 bbl version, can't imagine the kickstarter rewards would be much cheaper...

Have noticed some Brewers mentioning the "conicals" that are about are not really true conicals in the cone does not extended for the majority or 2/3 of the vessel height. These appear to fall into that same category is that correct?

as for the fermenters they have been on here before and as a business just starting off I wouldn't expect to much of the website layout, and where better to advertise than on here, home brewers are as fanatical about buying things that doesn't make them a better brewer but certainly makes the brewer look the part.

cleaned please stay on topic

Main concern is the costs of the units, when for a bit more you can get SS?? how will; this be addressed?

Sorry all for the slow replies. To answer all of your questions about cost, we will be lauching earlybird at $315NZD plus a flat $50 freight to your door in Aus, and $335NZd for the late-bird (this is 30L size) Our RRP is $350NZD. So worst case a 30L will be about $350AU landed on your doorstep. Sorry there is not much detail on the website, it will all fall into line after the kickstarter lauch, our facebook and instagram has much more up to date info. Re the commment above on the cone, this is indeed a true 60 degree conical. Thanks for all of your interest, keep it coming

Does it have a racking arm? Also website is not friendly with my galaxy note 4 :( menu is all screwed up.

Hey, sorry no racking arm. It was a conscious decision as most brewers we talked to said they didnt really use them. Might be a stretch goal or something if people really feel they need it. Sorry about the web optimisation, its a squarespace site so should be not too bad... might have to get someone on to it, thanks for feedback

Cheers

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Have noticed some Brewers mentioning the "conicals" that are about are not really true conicals in the cone does not extended for the majority or 2/3 of the vessel height. These appear to fall into that same category is that correct?
The 30l looks about right for ratio however 60l is probably outside the bounds. Having said that I think this is not important at home brew scale.
I can see obvious advantages in being able to fit these into many fridges. The benefit in draining off trub and racking from a side port is awesome.
To be honest I rarely adjust my racking arm on my SS conical as I tend to dump all the trub out prior to racking.
Personally I'd be looking around for a SS version for not that much more than $350. I have dreams about what's hiding in scratches in plastic.

Thanks Mudd, I think you are probably right, the advantage is more in the trub drain, racking and fit into a fridge. Re SS alternatives, if you can find something comparably featured for similar money please by all means reveal - our research suggests about double the money will get you something similarly featured. We believe we have positioned ourselves in the market appropriately for the obvious physical advantages and the perceived material disadvantage. I wash my ones at home with a stiff-bristled brush, a pretty industrial thing, and the inside looks like the day it was moulded (2 years ago - our previous design). I think most of plastics' bad wrap comes from those shitty threads/taps in the bottom of entry level fermenters harbouring all sorts of nasty thats hard to clean out. This thing has not a fine detail inside in which crap can be caught. And any good brewer who uses plastic will tell you that sanitation is sanitation, if you dont wash the crap out, it'll still be there next time - weve made the process much easier by having nowhere for stuff to hide, and nice fittings to boot.

We are fair humming along now, please go check out our campaign if you havent already! Cheers

Latest posts

Back