Malt And Alcohol %

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggins

Reaction score
I recently bought a 500 gram bag of coopers light dry malt and started reading the info on the side panel.Under the heading of alcohol produced it claims to ferment out to .8%.Could this be a typo or is that ralistic figure for 500 grams of malt?I was always under the impression that 1.5 kilos of malt would give same amount of alcohol as 1 kilo of sugar,according to this,apparently not. <_<

wiggins said:
I recently bought a 500 gram bag of coopers light dry malt and started reading the info on the side panel.Under the heading of alcohol produced it claims to ferment out to .8%.Could this be a typo or is that ralistic figure for 500 grams of malt?I was always under the impression that 1.5 kilos of malt would give same amount of alcohol as 1 kilo of sugar,according to this,apparently not. <_<
[post="105120"][/post]​

There isn't a lot of difference between Sucrose and light dry malt Wiggins.
Sucrose only has about 5% higher potential.
You may be thinking of liquid malt extract (tin) where 20 - 30% of the weight is water.

% ABV depends on batch size. For a 22litre batch, 500g light dry malt will give approx 0.8% ABV (Beersmith) depending on yeast attenuation etc. Higher ABV for smaller batch. :chug:

what alcohol % would the can by itself ferment out to? does the can + 1kg of light dry malt end up somewhere around the 4-5% mark?

It should be around the 1042 mark, giving something like 4.5%. The Brewcraft calculator is an easy way to find out what to expect, at this site.

Back