Mal Shovel Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
Good Day
Drop into ESB Peakhurst to buy some hops and yeast this afternoon. Mel poured me a beer without saying anything. It was a good amber colour with a nice head and an elegant, spicey aroma. It had a clean but malty flavour backed with medium hop bitterness and good spicey hop flavour. It was a really nice pale ale, more the Australian style but with spicey/noble hop flavour and aroma. It was only after I told Mel what a nice beer it was that he told me that it was a MS Pale Ale. He used two cans to make 23 litres, and the yeast supplied and fermented at 18-20oC, nothing else added. Mel was very pleased with the beer.
It is certainly worth a try because it was a very good beer. I have
no financial interest or connections with the Malt shovel brewery and Mel has his own range of kits but we both agree the MS Pale Ale is worth a try so that you can make your own decision.
All the best, Barry.

I was dissapointed with the lack of hop aroma and flavour from my MSB Deep Roast Ale. Others here have had similar comments about the MSB brews. Could just be a few bad cans though...

I brewed the Pale Ale.
Not a bad drop.
I did the double can thing, but dry hopped 24gr of Fuggles into secondary.

Doc

Just for people's info, I received this email regarding the supplied yeast from Maltexo today:

"Dependent on the sized sachet you have, the 5gm sachet is Saf-brew S-33. We have recently changed to supplying 7gm sachets which is Mauri 514. This change was effect in August 2006."

PZ.

I recently did a MS Pale Ale and MS 2 row lager (Fathers Day Presents), found the Pale the better drop they vastly improved after 2months in the bottle.

P.S read the very fine print on the can "Made in N.Z."

Just for people's info, I received this email regarding the supplied yeast from Maltexo today:

"Dependent on the sized sachet you have, the 5gm sachet is Saf-brew S-33. We have recently changed to supplying 7gm sachets which is Mauri 514. This change was effect in August 2006."

PZ.

Back to the standard "Mud" yeast that most kits use... oh well. Safbrew S-33 is damn cheap from some places though and doesn't make bad beer.

G'day as the name sudjests i am new to brewing also , i am also just doing kits and bottling at the moment i have done 3 brews Coopers draught , a Toohys new , and VB all of which are very drinkable and "OK" i guess for a "newby" i have been reading and am interested in the " two can " method as in this post , i am looking at moving to a darker ale type beer and this looks good to me , i have a couple questions , do you use both yeast sachets with the 2 cans , and what would be the ideal fermenting temp and bottle storing temps . Thanks New To Brew

G'day as the name sudjests i am new to brewing also , i am also just doing kits and bottling at the moment i have done 3 brews Coopers draught , a Toohys new , and VB all of which are very drinkable and "OK" i guess for a "newby" i have been reading and am interested in the " two can " method as in this post , i am looking at moving to a darker ale type beer and this looks good to me , i have a couple questions , do you use both yeast sachets with the 2 cans , and what would be the ideal fermenting temp and bottle storing temps . Thanks New To Brew

I don't think that he was talking about a "toucan"...as these are meant for a half batch only, so I figure he was just talking about using two cans to make a full 21-23 litre batch, which of course would result in twice as much of the exact same beer.

PZ.

Welcome to the forum Newtobrew. Yes, by all means, put in both sachets of yeast. It can only improve your brew. Try to keep the fermenter at approx 18-22 degrees, no probs if it goes a bit above. Try to keep the temp consistent. Bottle storage temps for the first 2 weeks need to be a consistent room temperature, then store in a cool dark place. Good luck :D

To further answer your question though, if you were to make a 2-can dark beer, you would use 1 can of coopers stout/dark ale, and 1 can of maybe coopers lager or coopers pale ale.

As the yeasts used in (nearly) all cooper's cans (with the exception being the heritage lager or something or other) are best fermented between 18-20C, even though the can says otherwise. Ideal bottle storing temperature is the same, though isn't really an issue. Wouldn't hurt to throw both sachets of yeast in, they're probably both the same strain anyway.

Welcome to the forums.

... It is certainly worth a try because it was a very good beer.

I have a two-can Malt Shovel Pale Ale brew on at the moment; it should be ready for bottling in a few days.
The colour is darker than Coopers Australian Pale Ale (my previous brew); a "darker shade of Pale", like Grand Ridge Brewery Gippsland Gold or Yarra Valley Gold.

Like the APA, I struggled to keep the brew temperature down due to the high ambient temperatures, but it should work out okay. It'll be my last brew until Autumn, though - I have a Coopers wheat beer + Morgan's wheat malt + Safale K-97 brew waiting for the ambient temperature to stay below 20 deg. C or so.

Welcome to the forum Newtobrew. Yes, by all means, put in both sachets of yeast. It can only improve your brew. Try to keep the fermenter at approx 18-22 degrees, no probs if it goes a bit above. Try to keep the temp consistent. Bottle storage temps for the first 2 weeks need to be a consistent room temperature, then store in a cool dark place. Good luck :D

Thanks for your advice all , i'm sure i'll have heaps more questions as time goes on

PZ.

Wasn't aware that Mauri Brothers and Thompson's Pacific operations even made brewing yeast. They do in Europe (Mauri Brew Lager Yeast) maybe this is a sign of things to come.

Latest posts

Back