making your own LME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butisitart

Reaction score
firstly - any searches i've done on this have produced an avalanche of kit extract q's.
but,,,
another of my bright ideas that is probably about to get shot down in flames.

was thinking to make some 1.06 ish base malt unhopped 23l ish batch, and a 2nd 1.04 abv to store for 2 uses

one is as a booster for gf double batches where i could drop in eg 5l of 1.06 during the boil to boost up. same principle as using LME.

the 1.04 strength would be for yeast starters/growers.

storage would be in 1 and 5l cube style food grade squeezable plastic. little cubes, in effect.

my theory is that this should store at least for the short term, (6 weeks would be enough) and obviously a lot cheaper than buying ME,

ok - time to shoot me down :ph34r: again

Time factors and production cost aside, dme is pretty cheaply available.. Particularly when bought in bulk

To quote the redheaded bint - "Please Explain"

Are you looking to make an all grain batch ~23L, Package some at 1.060, and some (presumably second running's) at 1.040 then store them for later use?

There are a couple of things I would like to clarify.
1.06 means somewhere between 1.055-1.065 that's why we put in the third zero 1.060 means the gravity is between 1.0595 and 1.0605 perhaps just a matter of convention but worth doing it right if you want the right answer back, when you ask a question.
What does 1.04 abv mean? abv is short for alcohol by volume, related to SG but not the same
What is a gf double batch? gf is commonly used as an abbreviation for Gluten Free, are you making GF wort to store or barley wort that isn't GF to add to a GF beer - a bit of clarification would be useful.

If you want to make and store wort ready to use for "boosting" other batches, I cant see any problem, given a couple of provisos.
You should boil to sterilise before packaging - the size of the package wont matter as long as the wort goes in hot and its kept closed until use, minimal air space, allow to cool slowly to improve pasteurisation of the container... all the normal no chill steps.
If you are going to boil the wort, I don't see much point in making two worts, make it all at 1.060 (for example) then use less toped up with more water to achieve target OG in what ever you are making (brew, starter...)
If you do everything properly it should keep for years.

Mark

Yob said:
Time factors and production cost aside, dme is pretty cheaply available.. Particularly when bought in bulk
+1

It will cost you a fortune in gas/electricity. You are going to have to boil it for hours of you want thick syrup

You could allways just save the first running which have a high SG and use that. But then you need to deal with the 2nd & 3rd runnings, otherwise it will be a waste

Personaly, at $10 a tin, you just couldnt make it for that, along with the dicking around as well

Are you looking to make an all grain batch ~23L, Package some at 1.060, and some (presumably second running's) at 1.040 then store them for later use?

There are a couple of things I would like to clarify.
1.06 means somewhere between 1.055-1.065 that's why we put in the third zero 1.060 means the gravity is between 1.0595 and 1.0605 perhaps just a matter of convention but worth doing it right if you want the right answer back, when you ask a question.
What does 1.04 abv mean? abv is short for alcohol by volume, related to SG but not the same
What is a gf double batch? gf is commonly used as an abbreviation for Gluten Free, are you making GF wort to store or barley wort that isn't GF to add to a GF beer - a bit of clarification would be useful.

If you want to make and store wort ready to use for "boosting" other batches, I cant see any problem, given a couple of provisos.
You should boil to sterilise before packaging - the size of the package wont matter as long as the wort goes in hot and its kept closed until use, minimal air space, allow to cool slowly to improve pasteurisation of the container... all the normal no chill steps.
If you are going to boil the wort, I don't see much point in making two worts, make it all at 1.060 (for example) then use less toped up with more water to achieve target OG in what ever you are making (brew, starter...)
If you do everything properly it should keep for years.

Mark

MHB said:

so who are you.... the camp commandant??? :p

Yob, yep that makes sense, might not be all that bad an idea if you did a bit of basic maths first (+during and after) it wouldn't be all that hard to make a pretty basic blond 3L mini no chill at about 1.050 that could be later added to any batch. Provided the specialty malts/bitterness and hop additions of the 20L grain father batches were worked out to suit.

Mark

There is much in the op that doesn't read well, I agree clear question get clear answers.

While reading between the lines it's 'possible' to interpret what you're after, being clear to begin with can save confusion.

Ja
MHB asks der qvestions.

B)

I did more or less what the OP says a few years ago, brewed a strongish lightly hopped base malt wort (also about 1060 if I remember) and ran it off into four 5L mini cubes from Bunnings. They kept for quite a few months, and I used them to pimp Coopers kits. I was still working at the time so if I was too busy to do a full mash brewday I would add a cube to a tin of Coopers Lager or Canadian and instant brew day.

ed: and 500g of dex which was about right for the style.

What happens if put in the freezer and the other option is to bottle like with passata or jam.

Isn't the point that you cant fit a 23L batch in a grain father? if you could there is no point in storing part of a batch just make a 23L batch.
If it wont fit (comfortably safely...) it still needs boiling, if you are boiling it you might as well no-chill the whole batch in continent sized portions that can be added to the fermenter.
Mark

If it was easier and cheaper to do it the OPs way then we would all be doing it that way.

But we're not.

I say no more.....

Latest posts

Back