Quantcast

Making soda water

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Reaction score
Has anyone made soda water using CO2 from their keg set up?

I love cold soda water in summer and don't always have any in the fridge.

adryargument

Reaction score
I have done one keg,
I found 16-18 psi to high, quite a bite.

robbo5253

Reaction score
I used rain water and gassed to 300kpa for 3 days then just took the gas off and just charged as required to dispense.
Worth having a keg in the fridge over the hot months.
Cheers
Robbo

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
We go through a keg of soda water about every three days.

At the moment I have two gas bottles hooked up to a kegerator in the kitchen, one at 'normal' beer pressure and the other at 200 kpa for soda water.

As I wanted to keep two of the three available taps for beer but also a new keg of cold and carbed soda water ready when the old one blows I have an old bar fridge in the garage which cools and carbs soda water at 200 kpa. So basically two kegs constantly in rotation.

I use RO water, there is also some sort of 'alkaline remineralization' cartridge hooked up to give it a bit more life back.

I've tried the San Pellegrino recipe that's floating around the forum here a few times but we agree that the straight RO tastes much nicer. But I know others apparently had good success with it.
I'm currently experimenting with different salt additions to try and find a balance but haven't found anything that beats straight RO yet.

Anyway, soda water on tap is one of the best things I've ever done I reckon and the wife is forever grateful.

benno1973

Beer Idiot
Reaction score
We always have a keg of soda water on tap. Good for mixing with cordial for the kids, or vodka/lime/sodas (also for the kids).

Filtered water carbed to about 180-200 kpa.

It's the reason why I upgraded my kegerator to 5 taps.

BTW, there's a couple of threads here and here on soda water, discussing 'recipes', carb pressure, etc.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
straight carbon filtered here force carbed at my normal serving pressure works fine

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
I fill the same keg with filtered water then carbonate for 3 days or so at 300kpa. Soon as it blows... fill it up again.

I just connect it at standard dispensing pressure... if we go through the soda slowly it sometimes goes a bit flat and needs a bit more pressure.

I don't recommend sanitizing with starsan... i find the flavour comes through... or at least it makes a sudsy drop!

Looking at mineral salts to simulate san pelegrino

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
Yep, have never cleaned or sanitised my soda kegs except before the first fill.

stux

Hacienda Brewhaus
Reaction score
Yep, have never cleaned or sanitised my soda kegs except before the first fill.
I used the boiling water trick on it last time it blew, seems to have improved it. Probably a good idea every few fills.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I always have a soda water on tap... as mentioned previously, great for the kids but it is also nice and easy to run through the beer taps after a session. Saves faffing about and keeps them clean.

Latest posts