Quantcast

Making My Dunkel More Dunkel?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I will be making a dunkel next, and i want it to be a nice dark brown colour. However, i do not want any roasty flavours that would come by putting too much carafa 1 in. How can i darken it without the roasty flavours??. Here is my recipe based on what malts i have at the moment

80.3% Light munich
10.9% Aus pils
5.5% dark munich
1.8% Cara aroma
1.5% Carafa 1

In beertools this comes out as 16 SRM, whereas the style can go up to 28. I do have some pale choc and caramunich, but am not sure if the choc will give roasty flavours if i add say 100g ?. And could i sub the pils with some caramunich??

Any ideas?? ( Dunkel boy??, anyone ?? ). The colour i spose isnt too important, but it would be nice to get it a bit darker.

J

Jovial_Monk

More dark, less light Munich?

50g choc malt will darken it a bit w/o adding much flavor.

Dare I say, longer boil? 2 hours say?

Jovial Monk

neonmeate

hello
Reaction score
mje1980 said:
I will be making a dunkel next, and i want it to be a nice dark brown colour. However, i do not want any roasty flavours that would come by putting too much carafa 1 in. How can i darken it without the roasty flavours??. Here is my recipe based on what malts i have at the moment

80.3% Light munich
10.9% Aus pils
5.5% dark munich
1.8% Cara aroma
1.5% Carafa 1

In beertools this comes out as 16 SRM, whereas the style can go up to 28. I do have some pale choc and caramunich, but am not sure if the choc will give roasty flavours if i add say 100g ?. And could i sub the pils with some caramunich??

Any ideas?? ( Dunkel boy??, anyone ?? ). The colour i spose isnt too important, but it would be nice to get it a bit darker.
[post="60511"][/post]​
i say shove in 50g of carafa III, that will make a difference to your colour, while being pretty undetectable flavourwise

or you could try doing an all dark munich base?

Dunkel_Boy

Reaction score
You can boost the percentage of dark munich and carafa1 in equal amounts if you like to bring down your light munich. You can even boost dark munich a bit more than carafa1. Pale choc is very very similar to carafa1. Carafa3 isn't a bad idea at all, and again I'd probably boost dark munich if you really don't want any roastiness... possibly 3:1 ratio up to about 50-100g.

J

Jovial_Monk

Really, these dark lagers are best brewed with no roasted malt but with a longer boil (dons flame suit)

Use say 40% dark Munich

JM

Dunkel_Boy

Reaction score
20-24 is a good place to aim for, it will still give you lovely red tones.
Do what you think... 40% dark munich, or do a longer boil, or go 20% dark munich, 3.5% carafa1, 3.5% cara-aroma, 10% aussie pils and 63% munich. There, no worries. Trust me, the dark munich and cara-aroma will definitely offset the carafa1.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
Good Day
I have made a few based on the same basic recipe and it can be found at the following if you are interested;

oz.craftbrewer.org/Recipes/

Look under Dark Lagers.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
If you're contemplating a Dunkel this is a pretty good article, gives several good tips.

Munich Dunkel

Warren -

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
thanks for all replies fella's. I have "tweaked" a bit, and here it is.

77.5% ( 4.4kg ) Light munich
17.6% ( 1kg ) Dark munich
2.6% ( .150g ) Cara aroma
2.3% ( .130g ) Carafa 1.

This brings it up to 18.5 srm from 16, so its made a difference. I will probably leave it at that, and see how it goes. Something tells me that this will be my new "house lager". i love this stuff!!, cant wait to get back to the German club for some more........mmmmmmmmmm......... :chug:

P.S, this means im gunna have to get my arse into gear and drink the north german pils thats in the keg, what a horrible shame hahahahahah

Dunkel_Boy

Reaction score
mje1980 said:
thanks for all replies fella's. I have "tweaked" a bit, and here it is.

77.5% ( 4.4kg ) Light munich
17.6% ( 1kg ) Dark munich
2.6% ( .150g ) Cara aroma
2.3% ( .130g ) Carafa 1.

This brings it up to 18.5 srm from 16, so its made a difference. I will probably leave it at that, and see how it goes. Something tells me that this will be my new "house lager". i love this stuff!!, cant wait to get back to the German club for some more........mmmmmmmmmm......... :chug:

P.S, this means im gunna have to get my arse into gear and drink the north german pils thats in the keg, what a horrible shame hahahahahah
[post="60653"][/post]​
Mate if you ever need someone to 'take the bullets' with you, when push comes to shove, I can put in the hard yards and get rid of that beer for you. It's difficult, and you will owe me a few favours, but I'm the man for the job.

Latest posts