Making First Liquid Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
I have now got some of the bits needed for my first ever mash(part) lager with liquid yeast.

I have 1Kg of "german larger grain"
(small amount for my first attempt)
was going to use a blackrock lager kit 1.5-1.7Kg's??

Now do i need to add DME to make up the "1kg suger added" in the normal kit recipe??

1Kg of grain = 3/4 a kg of "added sugger" ???

I am going to add 20g or hops 5 min before the end of boil (and some irish moss to help clear) and 20g of hops at end of boil for aroma. (Hallertau i think i decided on)

Should i strain this hops out or let it go into the fermenter?

I have the Californian Wyeast

Lastly, i was going to buy there 5Lt mini mash twin bucket set up, but i have heaps of the buckets at home so i will make it myself.

whats a good size, i have 20Lt buckets, drill holes in the "top" bucket for the false floor, and a pipe with its restricter on the bottom bucket.

Do i add the hot water and grain and let it sit, or will i need to source a heating element to keep it hot enough??

Thanks verymuch for your help :chug:

Ben,

If you want i nice light lager....use Morgans Golden Saaz.
Add Saaz and hellartau/tettnanger hops to it.

I made my own mash tun.
Use the 20 ltr bucket....dril 1.5mm holes in the bottom.
add a tap in the second bucket...under the bottom of the first bucket...check this first.

Get some bubble wrap...and wrap 2 layers around the mash tun...
This should insulate it enough.

I would not add any DME...
Mash 1kg of your german grain...
Can add some vienna or munich malt/grain to it....250 gms of each or 500 gms of one type.

Mash at approx 68 celcius.
rinse the buckets out with boiling water just prior to mashing....reduces heat loss.
Add say 5 trs of 75 degree water to the mash tun...then pour in the grain and mix for a minute. Place lid on and cover with bubble wrap and blanket and leave for 90 mins.

Check out my post on my first 1/2 and 1/2 brew in the how to full mash topic.

Hope this helps

The other thought i have it in my SS "water distiller" this has a heating element and it large say 30Lt.

I could have a tap on it, then it will boil the water, mash in it, and the final boil?

or am i better doing the method listed above with the 2 buckets. Just wanting to plan for large almost full mash sizes latter down the track

Dont use the one with the element in it.

It will burn/caramilise the grain.

Use the URN as the HLT - Hot Liquor Tank - to heat up your mashing water and your sparging water.

Sparge into a fermenter if need be...they put the wort back into the empty urn for the boil.

Ken....

Latest posts

Back