Making An Urn Larger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently bought a 20L urn to use a brew kettle. I was after a larger one but they are as rare as hens whatsits here in Perth. I have used a couple of times to good efect but I want to see if I can add some more metal to the top to bring it up 25+ L capacity however I don't have ready access to welding gear. The urn is a Zip, made in Oz and the metal looks pretty thick (2mm maybe). Any suggestions on how to attach some more metal an not have strange flavours in the wort? Any low temperature brazing or soldering ideas? It made of stainless steel.

cheers

patrick

Someone else on this board mentioned how he had got one of thoe cheap $20 15L SS pots, cut the bottom out of it, and used it as a sleeve to increase the high of his boil pot. Would need to be a close match in size though.

I think that ones for the too hard basket Pat , would not be worth the trouble or expense.

I saw one in Quokka sometime back and rang the guy , he had several , 30,40 and 50lt , he had a business on Albany Hwy if I remember correctly , sold secondhand catering supplies.

I was going to look in to it further after I lost the phone number but it's way too difficult from up here , perhaps try the Quokka again.

Good luck with it

Batz

hi Brosnan,
I was mashing in 20 litres but it just wasn't enough so I spent ten bucks on another pot from Red dot (I think), cut in half with a hacksaw, jammed it into the other then pumped silicone mastic into the joint. Voile! a 30 litre pot which works great. The two pots were different brands and nested easily, tho even if they are the same make, they would have some draw (i.e. the top will be about 3mm. bigger than the bottom).

mash_tun.jpg

Latest posts

Back