Making a Stockpot taller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm still hoping to resurrect Frankenbrew a small BM type build and for all the tedious and usual reasons I want to use my second Burco, sealing the MP with a cam lock.
To use the cam lock method I need a MP with a bottom the obvious candidate is a stockpot but I'm having problems finding one the right shape.

I want one 25 or 26 or 27 cm dia by about 30cm tall I've found none with those proportions. Most are quite a bit shorter which isn't good I need to max the volume.

I've thought of cutting a pot round a inserting a collar with silicone seals and lots and lots of bolts I think it would take the pressure but it would be hideous even by my standards.

If I could expand the mouth of one pot a little I could jam a second in there and get heigh that way, but how would I do that?
Any ideas or alternatives would be very much appreciated. Its a ghetto build so price is important :(

Many Thanks. Aamcle

When i had a Panelbeating Shop we had a tool to fit on to an Air tool and you could expand a piece of metal.
It was used so you could weld two pieces of metal together.It put about a half inch wide crimp in the metal.
This would do what you want... Do you know any Panelbeaters...???????????
PJ

I would not put silicon anyware near it.

Why not buy 2 pots and join them at the rims with silver solder. Thats what I did with my ghetto kettle. It was ugly but worked well.

I should have said I'm in the UK so no big W pots for me and sadly I don't know any panel beaters.

I'd never thought of rim to rim with silver solder that might well be the way for me.

Thanks Gents I knew you would think of something.

Atb. Aamcle

Well any cheap stainless chinese stock pot.

Pretty sure there the same all over the world.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I would not put silicon anyware near it.

Why not buy 2 pots and join them at the rims with silver solder. Thats what I did with my ghetto kettle. It was ugly but worked well.

Out of curiousity, you weren't worried about the solder cracking over time?

Back