Making a keg of smirnoff

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micko71

Reaction score
Hey guys. Does anyone know the ratio to mix vodka with cordial to make about 4.5% brew ?

My mate just got back from Thailand and brought me a litre of absolute vodka that's 50% alcohol (100 proof) I just don't need that sort of firewater laying around straight at my house ! Lol.

I want to mix up a 19 litre keg for the wife along the lines of a smirnoff rtd. Cheers.

So you could also add a bottle of [insert name of some cheap vodka with fake russian name from BWS] to pad it out to a full keg for an extra $25 or whatever.

Was on my phone before.

Starting Concentration x Starting Volume = Final Concentration x Final Volume

Starting Vol = 1 L
Starting Concentration = 50% = 0.5

Final Concentration = 5.4% = 0.045
Final Volume = X

0.5 x 1 = 0.045 x X

0.5= 0.045 x X

0.5/0.045 = X

X = 11.11 L final volume

Hands up if you every asked "Where am I ever going to use this in real life to a Maths or Science teacher?"

Micko71 said:
vodka that's 50% alcohol (100 proof)
100 American proof.

British proof is different: In the British system 100 proof was that mix of alcohol and water which would just allow standard Navy gunpowder to light, this being the test to prove that the spirit they bought had not been adulterated.

Later changed to a distillation and density measurement (100 proof = 12/13 of the density of water). In more common terms 100 British proof is about 57.2% ABV.

Lethaldog said:
Volume x original percentage divided by desired percentage = final volume!

Thanks everyone. So is this right?

1x50÷4.5 (% I'm after) = 11.1r litres ??

So I add 11 odd litres of carbed cordial mix?

Cheers. Micko

Just be aware that Thailand is one of the countries that has issues with methanol contaminated "counterfeit" spirits. Hopefully the bottle came from a reputable retailer with genuine stock.

Learn something new every day.

Does this mean if I wanted to do a bourbon and coke in a 5L mini keg, I would end up with a 5.6% drink?

Bourbon bottle = 700ml
% ABV = 40

0.28/0.056 = 5

Latest posts

Back