Making a clone, do i take into account alc from bottle carbonation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
A mate of mine brews at my place because he doesn't have the space to brew at his. Anyway he wants to make a brew for one of his mates.

So im asking for a mate of a mate...

Anyway, he wants to make a xxxx gold clone.

I've worked out this for him

95% pale ale malt
5% wheat malt

OG 1035 FG 1009 Alc 3.5%

POR to 16 ibus (i know cluster is the correct hop but we have a kg of por here)

s23 @ 14C

The above is what I would do to make this beer because I keg. However, he bottles so should i take into account the .5% alc he's going to pick up in the bottle and make the starting OG less? I figure the sugar is going to help the beer become more authentic anyway.

cheers

I would drop the starting gravity to allow for bottling, and up the IBU a bit. I would also consider dropping some pale base and throwing some sugar into it.
Also with s23 I would allow a bit of time to lager it.

Another tasty light/mid recipe is do AndrewQld's CPA, but drop the pale ale to get the lower OG, and swap out the Coopers yeast for s189 or you could try s23 if you preferred.
Batch 28L
EFF 85%
OG 1.031
IBU 26 (I like it on the bitter side)
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (4.0 EBC) Grain 4 89.8 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (2.4 EBC) Grain 5 6.0 %
0.10 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 6 3.0 %
0.04 kg Crystal Dark Bairds (240.0 EBC) Grain 7 1.2 %
28.00 g Pride of Ringwood [8.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 26.0 IBUs

cheers kev. I've done andrews cpa clone many times, never noticed that it had munich II in it though, is that a new recipe?

I've chucked s189 into a coopers clone before for a dad a couple times but i find it comes out a little sweet. But it is definitely a fine yeast, i probably have a packet of it somehwere

I tried a great aussie lager clone at babbs last year. All the people on the table thought it was a commercial beer. It was made on s23 so i thought i'd give that a crack

Here is one that most people wont be able to tell the difference. :chug:

Pale Malt B&B 73.5%
Light Munich 13.4%
Carapils 10.2%
Carahell 2.9%

POR @ 60 to 6.9ibu
Hallertau Hersbruker @ 40 to 7.7 ibu

2112 California Lager yeast.

Mash @ 66 deg c for 60 mins

IBU 14.6
OG 1.035
ABV 3.5%

I know the choice of yeast goes against all things "Megaswill" but give it a go...you may be surprised :chug:
This is a great beer for the uninformed party guests :ph34r: :lol:

I have only ever kegged this beer but if I were to bottle I would drop the malt quantities down to reflect the point 5% that bottle carbonation will give you.

ekul said:
cheers kev. I've done andrews cpa clone many times, never noticed that it had munich II in it though, is that a new recipe?

I've chucked s189 into a coopers clone before for a dad a couple times but i find it comes out a little sweet. But it is definitely a fine yeast, i probably have a packet of it somehwere

I tried a great aussie lager clone at babbs last year. All the people on the table thought it was a commercial beer. It was made on s23 so i thought i'd give that a crack
Oops, that's my addition. I make it with an OG 1.031 and with 85% eff there is only 3 1/3 kg of grain for the 28L batch, so the munich is to get some malt flavor back into it. But mine isn't a clone for xxxx gold, it's a general hot summers day chugga. I call it GoldenKev :ph34r:

s23 is def the yeast for that commercial style, but pitch big and lager it or you will get some nasty flavors from it.

Seem the consensus is to lower malt to account for the extra alc at bottling. Cheers guys!

I like dextrose and a really long low mash for xxxx gold type beers. 2042 WY Danish is a cracker for those type of dry crisp lagers too.

Just adjust your ingredients down to adjust for any tiny extra alc when bottling.

Latest posts

Back