Making a bigger batch from extracts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sounds like a simple question I know but if you do a double batch of extracts do ya just add everything as if it's doubled?

Only reason I ask is with a couple recipes I've read with the 60L recipe is different from 30L when divided by litres

You will often find the amount allowed for in the bottom of the kettle has more to do with the kettle design than batch size, you will usually leave the same amount if you did a small or large batch on the same equipment.
Same in the fermenters if you usually loose what's under the tap that wont change if you did 25 or 50L in a 60L fermenter, naturally if you used 2 of 30L fermenters its back to the same loss as a single batch.

You really just need to go through your system and add up all the losses, add that to how much you want to make, use that to workout how much extract you need to hit your gravity. Everything will go up proportionally.
Mark

Sounds like a simple question I know but if you do a double batch of extracts do ya just add everything as if it's doubled?

Only reason I ask is with a couple recipes I've read with the 60L recipe is different from 30L when divided by litres
As MHB said. Also, perhaps they are boosting ABV by adding dry malt, but when scaled to a double batch you can get away with 3 cans and no dry as opposed to 2 cans and some dry if it was simply doubled. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Back