Makeshift pale malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyoung

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wanting to brew a CSA but don't have any standard ale malt in stock. I have a bag of pils + some dark munich, so was wondering whether it would be appropriate if I mixed them up. I'm sure I could get the colour approximately right if I played with the ratios, but wondering if there would be any vastly different flavours to be had doing this? e.g. some overly bready or biscuity flavours that would not be right for the style?

Cheers,

Tim

sure it would not be the same, but it may end up alot better. Give it ago I would do it, you will still make beer lol

Agreed, just go with it... Unless you are going in comps who cares about styles

Edit: should say , who cares about sticking strictly to styles

Great beer by accident,rather than design?? Nope! Never happened, couldn't ever happen.

Everything has to be absolutely precise & to the numbers in order to be even passable...

BTW, sarcasm is just another free service I offer.. :p

Go for it!!

some peoples best beers are bits and pieces they didn't measure just used whats left never recorded it what went in as it was a bits and bobs beer then turns out great never to be repeated lol I done one once and yeah its always plays in your head trying to think what went in and roughly how much but I gave up on that as there was a hop the name rubbed off the bag and I didnt have a clue what it was so yeah was a guessing game lol

tyoung said:
Hey guys,

Wanting to brew a CSA but don't have any standard ale malt in stock. I have a bag of pils + some dark munich, so was wondering whether it would be appropriate if I mixed them up.

Cheers,

Tim
Dont do it..

Send it to me and I will turn it into some sort of saaz pilsner made with an ale yeast...you wont regret it...honest

Back