Maken Stuff For The Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QldKev

Brew Dude
Reaction score
This morning I got up and had to replace a stc1000 from the brewery, due to one failing on the HLT. It's been buzzing when ever a number 8 is displayed for a while, and last brew it started to cut completely out after a minute or two. Got that done, and tested.

I've spent money building a recirculating system with a heat exchanger to maintain mash temps etc, but if I'm loosing too much heat the wort is cooling, then getting reheated; possibly not good for consistent beer. It got me thinking about insulating some bits to help keep a nice consistent temp in the mash. I've got basic insulation already on the HLT and mash tun, but have noted a lot of heat loss from the hoses.

So I got on my black Triumph shirt, and got out the trusty ebay sewing machine. The wife is out, so no-one to tell me not to cut up a towel for material, and I made a couple of hose insulators.

The towel happened to be the perfect length for the hoses. Although I only needed two, there was enough to make three, so one hose will have a double layer to towel (as pictured)

04032012924.jpg

So what other cool ideas are people playing with lately?

QldKev

Made this so I could watch the wort going to kettle.
siteglass.jpg

Latest posts

Back