Make One Of These

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ausdb said:
And $11 refills on sodastream but their adapter will not fill the old metal bottles (it doesnt push the schraeder valve in enough on the old bottles) dont ask me how i know!
Cheers
Thanks for the tip ;)
The bloke who is giving me the bottle confirmed that its an old "grey" bottle so it looks like I'll be swapping it for a new cylinder first up...
Cheers,
TL

MAH said:
Anyone still selling the adpaters for the soda stream bottle to affix to a standard regulator?
MAH

I have a guy that made me one for $30. After posting a few pics and many requests later from AHB'ers I've had to get him to make up about another 8 or so. As far as I can tell I should always be able to get more made up from him as he is retired so the money he makes on them is his HB fund. :chug:
If you want one let me know and it shouldn't be a problem to get one turned up.

Hoops

TL I see you are in Canberra, a nice place if it wasn't so bloody cold in winter! so this may not apply.

Apparently some of the K marts etc are a bit iffy about giving refills on the old grey bottles and want you to pay $33 for a new aly cyclinder first. I was lucky the young girl at the Kmart I went to obviously did not know about that policy as she swapped my old cylinder no probs.

Cheers Ausdb

ausdb said:
Apparently some of the K marts etc are a bit iffy about giving refills on the old grey bottles and want you to pay $33 for a new aly cyclinder first. I was lucky the young girl at the Kmart I went to obviously did not know about that policy as she swapped my old cylinder no probs.

Cheers Ausdb
Thanks for that ausdb,
Yeah, we have a newsagent here in Manuka (near where the PM's XI plays cricket) and they swap bottles for full ones with no dramas - they're a Sodastream refill agent. So I'll go to them first and if I get any grief, I guess I'll pay for a new one.
Cheers,
TL

Hoops said:
I have a guy that made me one for $30. (snip)
If you want one let me know and it shouldn't be a problem to get one turned up.

Hoops
Good work Hoops!
I'll give you a yell, when I get the bottle of my mate.
Cheers,
TL ;)

ausdb said:
Unless you have a lathe in your shed like Sosman its not worth stuffing around with at that price...
I know one person (gout) who made one with nothing but hand tools - it depends on exactly what fitting you have on your regulator. Some of them have a kind of sintered filter inside.

Also, I didn't have to make the thread, only the little knob to press the valve in. If you can get the right size brass rod, then cut a thread in it and tap the inside of the regulator stem to suit (taking care not to let swarf into the regulator). I then just used a hacksaw to cut a slot and the adjusted the depth until it just depressed the valve when the regulator was screwed down tight.

SodaStreamReg.jpg

How long would a soda stream bottle last for? would it only be used to pump the beer out or to gas it up as well?

Would this be a cheaper alternative to hire/buying a new tank straight up?

Costing:
Bottle: $30-35
Fitting: $30

with $10-20 refills?

The refills are much more expensive than a large CO2 cylinder or fire extinguisher. These ones hold around 330 g of CO2 (the old ones were 250 g), and it costs a tad over $10 to refill; a 5 kg extinguisher costs about $50 to refill...

I think someone in another thread calculated that it's only good for about 3 'carbonate and dispense' cycles; I think it's more suited to taking to parties/picnics where you don't want to lug around a big cylinder.

I will second that - the key is portability. You pay for that. Use your big bottle to carbonate and just use the soda stream to push it out.

I mentioned 3 kegs based on someone saying 50-100g of CO2 needed to carbonate a postmix keg. The soda stream bottles are 330g IIRC.

If you type "sodastream adaptor" into the search you will find all you want to know.

yeah thats the tap... $9 to aust, I did all via email, not on the web site...... still waiting on a price for the chargers....

Latest posts

Back