Major Stuff Up !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skb

Reaction score
I just had a serious beer making f**kup I had to share as I am not brave enough to go upstairs yet…

It all started a week and a bit ago when I had a few friends over and we had a brewing day, more heavily based on drinking than brewing as SWMBO was away with the kids for 4 days ! We made a batch of beer and well got the water a bit short and for a few reasons I need it fermented a little quicker. So 2 days ago (day 8 of ferment) I moved the 60L fermenter inside the lounge room onto the good furniture etc. The wife actually agreed as we want the beer to move along as it was for a friends party. I had my friend help me lift it up onto the furniture so when done I could also just empty into kegs, and cold crash there.

I need to adjust the volume up 5Ltrs as to accommodate the error on the brew day, and the OG also showed that I could do this and hit the right target. Given still activity on the airlock I thought great time and minimized the infection, so I boiled water for 25 min (overkill) and sterilised everything and let it cool during the day.

So tonight I went to do the task and the lid was hard to get off, so what I normally do when the fermenter is empty I put my leg against the tap and twist the top …. Simple yes …. Hell no, I broke the tap off the fermenter and the beer started to rush out and I had to jam my finger in the hole to stop it, just as the wife walks into the room !!! OMG the mess and even worse I had to use her (while very angry) to help me tip the fermenter on the side enough to replace the tap……… OMG … So in one hour I got myself in the shit, probably ruined a beer with infection and have got myself a big cleanup job !

yup that'll be a mess and a lot of work making it up to the better half. On the bright side you probably haven't killed the beer, and as it's set for consumption soon I dare say you won't find a hint of infection, leave it for a couple of months and the story might be different!

Happy wife..tick.

image1big_12.jpg

I shouldn't laugh at this... but I will :p

I've done the exact same thing, but I did it prior to fermentation.. I was using a tap to gain leverage to tighten the lid,,, never doing that again... actually stopped using taps altogether. They freak me out man haha

Wait till your 3yr old pushes a fermenter full of sanitizer into the garden off the verandah...and it was new.... :(

Ducatiboy stu said:
Wait till your 3yr old pushes a fermenter full of sanitizer into the garden off the verandah...and it was new.... :(
Look on the bright side,your garden is sanitised and skb's missus has a clean house :)

I remember not so long ago my young'n was three and decided to help stir in the yeast WITH HIS UNSANITISE 3YO HAND!!! Heh the beer survived :D

Back